Adding Power Sockets & Spot Lights - Notifiable?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is adding a couple of power sockets to the existing circuit and replacing a centre light for spot lights, all within a living area, notifiable work which requires an accredited electrician (competent person) to undertake the work or notice sent to Building Control?

Sponsored Links
No, not notifiable but you must comply with Part P of the Building Regulations.

This work is not notifiable - unless it is
an extra-low voltage lighting system which is not a pre-assembled lighting set bearing the CE marking referred to in regulation 9 of the Electrical Equipment (Safety) Regulations 1994(1);

However, obviously it has to be carried out by a competent person - that may be you.
After all it wouldn't make much sense to want it done by someone incompetent.

It still has to comply with all the regulations and be tested properly.

Thanks for the prompt response. I am not a qualified or accredited electrician, but am competent with the basics (such as the above work). So to clarify, I am allowed to legally undertake the work, yes?

In which case, what do I need to do to comply with Part P and properly 'test' the circuit once it is all connected?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the prompt response. I am not a qualified or accredited electrician, but am competent with the basics (such as the above work). So to clarify, I am allowed to legally undertake the work, yes?
Yes.

In which case, what do I need to do to comply with Part P
Part P merely states that the work must be done so that it is safe and not a danger to people or property.
//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:part_p:statutory_instrument

and properly 'test' the circuit once it is all connected?
Well, it is doubtful that you have the necessary testing equipment so it is difficult to advise.

Order of Tests -
Continuity Testing
Insulation Testing
Polarity Testing
Loop Testing
RCD Testing
Functional Testing

The new wiring must be protected by a Residual Current Device.

What 'basic' testing can I do say for a budget of £100 or so to spend on equipment? It will pay for itself over my lifetime and give me a piece of mind!

In terms of protecting the new wiring with an RCD. Is the RCD in the consumer unit (which already protects the existing wiring) sufficient? Or do I need to add another RCD between the existing wiring and the new?

If we're talking about a householder adding a new socket or a new lightfitting to a circuit, and it is not in a bthroom, kitchen etc, this is a job which thousands of householders carry out every day.

I don't see that you are obliged to add an RCD if your house was built without one.

You can test continuity and polarity very easily with an £8 multimeter. Functional Testing means looking to see if it works, which you can easily do.

You will not own an EFLI tester, an RCD tester, or an insulation tester, any more than the other thousands of householders do.
To my eye, EFLImp looks like he is trying to discourage a sensible householder from carefully doing a job that thousands of less careful people do every day.

In terms of protecting the new wiring with an RCD. Is the RCD in the consumer unit (which already protects the existing wiring) sufficient? Or do I need to add another RCD between the existing wiring and the new?
No you do not need another. That will be alright then.

If we're talking about a householder adding a new socket or a new lightfitting to a circuit, and it is not in a bthroom, kitchen etc, this is a job which thousands of householders carry out every day.
It is.

I don't see that you are obliged to add an RCD if your house was built without one.
Will have to agree to differ.

You can test continuity and polarity very easily with an £8 multimeter. Functional Testing means looking to see if it works, which you can easily do.
True.

You will not own an EFLI tester, an RCD tester, or an insulation tester, any more than the other thousands of householders do.
So - NOT complying with Part P.

Do you not think DIYers should do the job properly, then?

Because work is not notifiable does not mean it should be done poorly to a lesser standard than 'we' have to use.
Surely, that is the whole point of Part P.

Suitable tools are needed whatever the work.

To my eye, EFLImp looks like he is trying to discourage a sensible householder from carefully doing a job that thousands of less careful people do every day.
On the contrary. I thought I was being most helpful.

Perhaps EVIS' RCD doesn't work or the loop is too high.
With regard to another post today complaining about unhelpful and rude replies, should we just say "Yeah, go ahead it'll be ok. No need to worry".

Have to agree that EFLImpudence's reply was most helpful and I didn't feel he was putting me off. Can we stop the backchat though please fellas :).

EFLImpudence, you mention Part P again. As I cannot test the extended circuits fully, and in turn not abide with Part P, will I be breaking the law? I'm a bit confused in regards to how work which fails to meet Part P does not need to be notified?

EFLImpudence, you mention Part P again. As I cannot test the extended circuits fully, and in turn not abide with Part P, will I be breaking the law?
To be really strict, I suppose, technically, you are but not by doing the work.
It's just that it should be tested to ensure it is safe.
It would be like installing a gas fitting and not checking for leaks.

If I were to do the work for you I would have to test it and issue a certificate.

I'm a bit confused in regards to how work which fails to meet Part P does not need to be notified?
Part P of the buildings regulations is only as the link above.
//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:part_p:statutory_instrument

P1 is all it says and covers all work.
P2 is separate and a list of work which need not be notified.

So, I would maintain that you cannot really comply with the single sentence of P1 without testing.

I wasn't trying to put you off doing the work but feel it irresponsible not to give you the full facts as you clearly want to do everything 'by the book'.

Right, so to expand on the scenario a tad, this electrical work will be part of my garage conversion which will already involve Building Control. The garage already has sockets and a centre light as mentioned in my opening post.

So, if I add a couple of sockets and downlights myself, as long as all the other building work is undertaken up to standard, will the BCO sign-off the conversion, or could he demand a certificate for the electrical installation as well?

What I don't want to happen is that I do the electrical work myself and then have to fork out an inflated sum for having the BCO sign it off. In this case it would work out cheaper to just get an accredited sparky to undertake the entire installation.

I'm a bit confused in regards to how work which fails to meet Part P does not need to be notified?
Compliance with Part P and notification are two separate things.

Part P applies to any work whatsoever on fixed electrical cables or fixed electrical equipment located on the consumer’s side of the electricity supply meter which operate at low or extra-low voltage and are—
(a) in or attached to a dwelling;
(b) in the common parts of a building serving one or more dwellings, but excluding power supplies to lifts;
(c) in a building that receives its electricity from a source located within or shared with a dwelling; or
(d) in a garden or in or on land associated with a building where the electricity is from a source located within or shared with a dwelling.

Not all such work is notifiable.

Work which does not comply with Part P is illegal, whether it was notifiable or not.

Regarding your garage conversion, the only sensible thing to do is to ask your BCO what their position will be on non-notifiable electrical work that is done as part of the conversion.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back