Advice on adding lights to my garden wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I have a light above my back door that I would like to add more lights to along my garden wall. This existing light is above the door so will he other new lights.

I want to add in 3 LED bulkheads along this wall (which goes round a corner)

My questions are:

1. Do I need to use conduit? if so can you get white? I notice a lot of people not recommending PVC due to the UV light deterioration. Where would I buy from? all the conduit in screwfix doesn't mention for outdoor use. What Dort of cable wold I use for inside the conduit?

2. or could I just use cable? If so what sort of cable? SWA overkill for 7ft above the ground! Or T&E ok?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
There are many options and which is selected would depend on likely damage which may happen.

Conduit outside has a few problems from expansion and contraction to water ingress there are two types of glue and also long sleeves so non setting glue can be used so water can't get in but it can still move with temperature changes. Experience tells us where to fix and were to allow movement.

However using steel wire armoured (SWA) or plain round black flex could also be an option.

In Germany it is common to free air cables between conduit so although it gives some mechanical protection it is not sealed just has an end to stop chaffing and flex jumps from one conduit to other without any bends or any attempt to stop water entering or leaving conduit.

Markings for conduit BS EN 61386 allows you not to use RCD protection but refers to steel conduit not plastic. As to suitable for outside that depends how installed so will not have marking on the conduit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back