Advice on kitchen rewire needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, and as this is my first post may i say hello to one and all and thank anybody in advance for any advice given...

I am about to fit my new kitchen and have taken it back to bare brick, the existing wireing was a joke (ex council house).. the full house is on one ring main (upsairs, downstairs inc kitchen) there were spurs off spurs, spurs of sockets in the front bed room, spur off spurs off radials etc.. (you get the pic)
After spending time ripping up floorboards and carpet and ridding myself of the tangled web of evil, i now have a blank canvas to install a fresh ring for the kitchen... i currently have an old style fuse box to which i will install a mcb conversion push in fuse until i get a full rewire done later in the year..

I am not a qualified spark but have quite a bit of preivious experience with years of fitting kitchens and want to get all the wireing inplace myself to save money then get a spark in to connect the tails and check and sign off before i board. I plan to run all the cables behind dot and dabbed plaster board in galvanised channel but am unsure about safe zones so i have created a few pics of my planned route and hope that somebody can point me in the right direction..
A few things on the pictures... First pic is a floor plan with walls labled 1 - 4. Red wires are proposed new ring, yellow lighting ring, orange lighting switch wires.. Pink switches are 20 amp DP on the ring with the green being spurs to the appliences, (the 3 sockets are behind the dryer because it has room where the washer and diswasher dont) Blue is 6mm feed wich comes in from the ceiling void, which is unboarded at the min so i have full access..
If i have left anything out please let me know and i will do my best to explain,
Many thanks in advance Dave

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your reply, i do have an electrician but he is currently working in brighton, an i will not see him until next week, it was actually at his sugestion i seek advice on a forum and that is why i posted the question here..
I would still like advice if at all possible

If you look in Wiki //www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics
Plenty of information there, look under installation techniques for safe zones in walls and floors.
Ideally I generally look at at least 3 possibly 4 circuits when planning kitchen power. (not forgetting the lighting, may I add)
Circuits for
* under worktop appliances
* above worktop sockets
* oven and/or hob
Then consideration for extraction, under cabinet lights, boiler connection, outside lighting.

But you must have RCD protection before any socket outlet circuits are commissioned and energised and any circuit that has buried cable, that is not mechanically protected at a depth of less than 50mm must also have 30mA RCD protection.

Sponsored Links
He actually reccomended "Electricians Forum" i ended up here because i found a similar post and hoped i would find help, He knows im not a total numpty so i'll either do it right and save money or not and end up spending more, but "swmbo" wants me to pull my finger out and get it started... the sugestion about the forum was for advice on routing the cable.. i think my pics are good enough for someone to be able to point me in the right direction, i might how ever be wrong..... Time will surely tell lol :D (starting to feel a bit of a numpty at the min for even trying) :oops:

He actually reccomended "Electricians Forum" i ended up here because i found a similar post and hoped i would find help, He knows im not a total numpty so i'll either do it right and save money or not and end up spending more,
I think the point is, if you have an electrician on board already and they are suggesting you visit forums with questions, that should be directed at them, it is a little bit bewildering!
but "swmbo" wants me to pull my finger out and get it started...
Tell her you don't have clue what to do! (sound like a song?)
the sugestion about the forum was for advice on routing the cable.. i think my pics are good enough for someone to be able to point me in the right direction, i might how ever be wrong..... Time will surely tell lol :D (starting to feel a bit of a numpty at the min for even trying) :oops:
You have already been given links for installation methods, look at them.
//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:installation_techniques
Personally have boiler on own dedicated circuit, either RCBO or mechanically protected cable.

And pray tell, why did I get dragged in when I was fighting tiles in a room that's smaller than a small thing?? I need a beer!! :LOL: (quote "I've left the heating on for you Scoby as its a chilly wind outside today!!")
Sorry Scoby, thought you were spending the pink pound!

I have looked and this is what i came up with, made the mistake of thinking i could come on a "Forum for advice on electrical practice" and actually getting some advice... not once has anybody yet looked at my pictures and said "No you can not do it that way" or "Yes that will be fine" which was the main purpose of the post in the first place so, not to be rude or ignorant i'll ask it once agiain, as concise as i can put it... "Is there anything wrong with my proposed routing of the cables"

I would apreciate if the answers from here on in would tell me why im wrong or right and not be about members "Spending the pink pound" in brighton, as i believe that is the true purpose of a DIY forum

Cheers again Dave

No, this is a totaly new circuit just for the kitchen, it will have a the old push in fuse replaced by a new push in mcb converted fuse, until i have a new consumer unit fitted later in the year and the rest of the house rewired, Thanks again in advance Dave

Well the routes don't look too bad, I general try come up from floor with the cables if possible in kitchen, to avoid damage from wall units and utensil hooks being fixed.
But I would not have one dedicated circuit for all your socket outlets, suggest provision made for above and below work top circuits.
Do it once do it right!
Also the boiler, you now have an excellent chance of a dedicated circuit, without nuisance tripping from other faulty circuits or equipment, take advantage.
You will require to have RCD protection before these circuits go in to service.

For me, some of your socket drops come down from the ceiling void. Some go horizontal.

I prefer consistency (and vertical feeds!!) I'd be dropping each link in the ring to (any) outlet from the ceiling void. Just my way of trying to make it easier for future punters who'll think "ooh, those cables went up the wall so this'll be the same". Obviously if a SFC is within inches of a socket I'd travel horizontally and then back up. But not feet.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back