Bathroom ceiling light and switch install

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I've re-wired my bathroom ceiling light, it was middle of circuit so had addition wiring for rest of circuit. I've had an issue because everything seems to be working except the switch, the light remains on at all times whilst rest of the lights upstairs work as normal.

Has anyone else experienced this, I'm guessing I have wired something wrong......

The wiring consists of;
a)white wire with has blue, brown and yellow/green wires in
b)2 x grey wires, they have red, black and yellow and green wires
c)new light fixture has blue, brown and yellow/green wires in.

How should I be wiring this? Is there a link or a diagram anyone could recommend?

Thanks

Chris

Sponsored Links
//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:lighting

electrics:lighting:replacingceilingrose0lq.gif

This doesn't seem to work.

I have 3 earths(yellow & green), 3 lives (2 red, 1 brown), and 3 neutrals (2 black 1 blue) all to fit into the light fitting which has 1 live 1 earth and 1 neutral. Very confusing. Any ideas?

When I fit loop together all lights upstairs work, I can add the light to this too and it works but as soon as I attach the light sensor the breakers trip.

Don't understand why light sensor has blue neutral, brown live, and yellow and gold earth????

Please someone help

Don't understand why light sensor has blue neutral, brown live, and yellow and gold earth????
Where did the light sensor come from?

Anyway, you say yellow and gold. I would instinctively assume you mean yellow and green.

However, if it is a separate sensor it will have to have a switched live to operate the light and it may be double insulated and not require an earth so some more details - model number or picture - are needed.

Is this sensor to work with the normal switch or are you removing the switch?

Sponsored Links
Sensor was here when moved in, worked fine too. I stupidly disconnected everything for new light fixture.

I have been in loft and the sensor seems to stand alone with 1 lead coming out which has the E, L, & N.

Ah, has someone naughtily used the earth wire as the switched live.

Disconnect this 'earth' wire from earth at the light and can you then test that it becomes live when the sensor is on?

Do you have a multimeter? You cannot really do any electrical work without one.

If it is, which seems likely that someone has used the earth for live then you ought to replace this cable with three-core and earth even though the earth may not be required at the sensor.

I'm leaning towards just taking sensor out and getting a pully instead. I'm guessing I'm right in saying a usual switch would not have an earth but a switch live?

I'm leaning towards just taking sensor out and getting a pully instead. I'm guessing I'm right in saying a usual switch would not have an earth but a switch live?
It may not need an earth but should have one in the cable.

It will NOT have a neutral as the black or blue will be used as the switched live and should be sleeved in red or brown to signify this.

A neutral is the wire providing a return path from the load to the origin of the supply.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back