Bathroom Down flow Heater

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, can anybody advise why Down Flow Heaters are required to be a minimum of 1.8 from the floor. Is it a fire safety thing or just to stop little ones poking their fingers in them..I would like to get one installed, but can only get a height of about 1.6.

Any advice greatly appreciated

Sponsored Links
Hi, can anybody advise why Down Flow Heaters are required to be a minimum of 1.8 from the floor.
I would think it just the manufacturer's instructions for ideal operation.

Is it a fire safety thing
I wouldn't think so.

or just to stop little ones poking their fingers in them.
No, that's the parents' job.

I would like to get one installed, but can only get a height of about 1.6.
They're not exactly brilliant.
What about a radiant heater or something that you can fit in accordance with the instructions?

The down flow heaters also need to be a certain distance down from the ceiling. Could be something like 300 mm, but you'd need to check.

Likewise they are supposed to be a certain distance from corners and other things to near the sides of the heater.

The down flow heaters also need to be a certain distance down from the ceiling. Could be something like 300 mm, but you'd need to check.

Likewise they are supposed to be a certain distance from corners and other things to near the sides of the heater.
Thanks for your help, do you know if there is any safety reasons why they have to be 1.8 from the floor

Sponsored Links
Before you go ahead, look in the instructions and find out where they recommend you fit it.

If you install contrary to the manufacturer's instructions, the installation will not meet the requirements of the regulations.

I appreciate all your replies. I am able to comply with all gaps above and below, but just can't get the 1.8 Every downflow heater I have seen says 1.8 and I was just trying to get a definite answer as to why this is important. Does anybody think it is for safety reasons or is it for optimum function of the unit?

Every downflow heater I have seen says 1.8 and I was just trying to get a definite answer as to why this is important. Does anybody think it is for safety reasons or is it for optimum function of the unit?
As others have said, no matter what the answer to that question, the current Wiring Requlations require you to following the manufacturer's instructions - so, if the manufacturer says 1.8m, and you want to comply with the regulations ............

For what it's worth, I cannot personally see that it's likely to be for an (electrical) safety reason, since any adult, and even some larger children (particularly if they stood on the bathroom stool :) ), could reach something at 1.8m. However, that doesn't alter what I've said above.

Kind Regards, John

The dimplex one with a 300mm above and 1800mm below, and a height of around 250mm......would not fit in many houses :LOL:
I'm not so sure about that - that's only 2350mm total - i.e. only 100mm 'above zones' - aren't most rooms, even today, at least that high?

Kind Regards, John

2.25 is a typical ceiling height in 70's and 80's houses, certainly around here.

Hi all, just to clarify, I spoke to Dimplex and the answer I got was that the minimum mounting height is recommended at 1.8m from the floor as this is the mounting height that the unit has been tested and approved to in accordance with the British Safety Standard BS EN 60335.

BS EN 60335 deals with the safety of electrical household appliances – providing their rated voltage is not more than 250 V for single-phase and 480 V for other appliances. These best practice recommendations for electrical safety look at common hazards of household equipment or electrically-operated devices that could cause injury to persons in and around the house.

The standard explains heating, void as well as leakage currents and electric strength at operating temperatures. Other topics include moisture resistance, stability and mechanical hazards, internal wiring and connections. and demonstrates how to ensure protection against live parts.

He also stated that Units not installed in accordance with the manufacturers recommendations may not be covered under warranty should they develop a fault

Think I will install, on the understanding it will invalidate the warrenty

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back