Bathroom extractor wiring - user error?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong here? :oops:

I have a bathroom extractor with a humidistat and over-run timer (no pull cord). I would like the fan to come on when the humidity reaches 40% and switch off 10 mins after the humidity drops below this level - I've set the variable controls accordingly.

I have it on an isolated switch which is outside the bathroom, in a cupboard, and not linked to the light. (This would have been my preferred set up but I didn't want to go through the significant disruption to wire it to that side of the room).

There are 3 ports on the fan, marked L, N and L-T. From my switch, I have wired it like this
N : blue
L : brown
L-T : empty (there is a diagram next to it showing it's a switch from the L, unsure if that's a standard convention)

When I flip the switch outside the bathroom, the fan comes on and then switches off after 10 mins - as expected. Then if I turn the shower on, the fan comes on after a few minutes - but then it never switches off, even after the room is no longer humid. I had thought I could just leave the switch outside permanently on and then the fan would come on when it was humid, run for a while and switch off 10 mins after it no longer detects humidity.

Have I wired it wrong, or mis-read how it's supposed to work?

Sponsored Links
Hi Andy, thanks for the reply. 40% is the lowest humidity setting so it's actually already set up like that. Does that mean you think it should work in the way I expected it to with that wiring...?

You might try joining the L-T connector to the L with a short length of wire. The switched live detector may be seeing spurious conditions if left disconnected.

Just an idea...

Sponsored Links
Firstly you shouldn't be using the overrun in conjunction with an humidistat, and the humidistat does a better job once set correctly. You will need to experiment (for weeks!) to get the right setting on the humidistat. I would suggest starting the setting at 80% and if it does not run long enough decrease slightly (77%) until you feel its's doing an adequate job. They are very sensitive and a devil to get right. At 40% it's trying to dry the entire country out as our average humidity is near 70%.

Hi there, thanks for the replies.

Firstly you shouldn't be using the overrun in conjunction with an humidistat

It came out of the box with these two controls built in - I selected option 4 when I bought it from these guys, seems they don't agree with you...

http://www.fantronix.com/acatalog/5__Fans_for_Small_Bathrooms_12v_Zone_1___2.html

our average humidity is near 70%
Ah. Well that would explain why it's never going to shut off if it's set to 40% then! I set it low to test that it came on quick enough after the shower was switched on (condensation issues in my flat) - stupidly hadn't even thought about the other side of the spectrum. Will do as you say, tweak the settings and see how it goes...

Thanks again - much appreciated.

For some reason that link doesn't display - anyway it's one of the
Classic Bathroom Extractor Fans 5" dia, from Fantronix.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back