bathroom pullcord light switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
having moved into a new flat I thought it would be a simple process to change the ceiling light switch in the bathroom, but when i put it back the way it seemed to be in the old fitting it trips the fuse every time its switched!
ive had a scan of the stickies but im either too blind or tired to see the answer :LOL:
there is 2 reds, one thicker and one thin, a thick black and a blue, plus the earth. presumably the expelair (which never worked) is the thinner wires?
ive tried a few combinations but it either trips the fuse box or does nothing, anyone able to impart any wisdom?
thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Does the fan come on just when the light is turned on and not operate independently? Sounds like you may have a loop in the switch meaning a permanent line (red or brown), switched line (red or brown) and two neutrals (black and blue). If that's the case then join the neutrals together in a suitable connector strip, put the permanent line into com and the switch line into L1.

If that's the case then join the neutrals together in a suitable connector strip, put the permanent line into com and the switch line into L1.
That's probably what everyone is thinking but more information is needed really before a BANG test.

Especially as OP reports - 2 reds, 1 black and 1 blue (+ earths).

Sponsored Links
If that's the case then join the neutrals together in a suitable connector strip, put the permanent line into com and the switch line into L1.
That's probably what everyone is thinking but more information is needed really before a BANG test.

Especially as OP reports - 2 reds, 1 black and 1 blue (+ earths).

overlooked the "2 reds" but still as said in bold above if that's the case i.e make sure 1st!

overlooked the "2 reds" but still as said in bold above if that's the case i.e make sure 1st!

'if that's the case' if the op was aware of this then why would they have posted in the first place?

'if that's the case' if the op was aware of this then why would they have posted in the first place?

A hint towards finding out what they are doing before just connecting up! As explained with make sure 1st in previous post!

Make sure what? 'it's a loop in as you suggest'?

what makes you think the op will understand this giving the original post, let alone establish what you say? Are you one of those that just connects up, crosses your fingers and hopes?

Thats fine in your own environment but maybe not best conveyed to someone else.

Make sure what? 'it's a loop in as you suggest'?

what makes you think the op will understand this giving the original post, let alone establish what you say? Are you one of those that just connects up, crosses your fingers and hopes?

Thats fine in your own environment but maybe not best conveyed to someone else.

I've mentioned loop and given cable cores and said if that's the case! If it's not then simply don't connect up!

Read the post properly and stop trying to draw me into a pointless argument of which I have no interest! YAWN! :rolleyes:

Okay, you've mentiond loop and cable cores, So what do mean by 'if that's the case'?

I think what everyone is getting at Vibro is that the op probably has no idea if that's the case or not he probably has no clue what a switch live is even if it is red but equally it could be the black or the blue.
Post a pic op and we will see if that is the case!

thanks for the helpful and not so helpful replies, yep im no electrician, im a civil engineer :LOL:
figured it out eventually, id put the yellow/green to a marked earth point when it should have been to common, with reds at the L1 switch and black/blue together. sorted.

figured it out eventually, id put the yellow/green to a marked earth point when it should have been to common, with reds at the L1 switch and black/blue together. sorted.
:eek: In which case you need to get this part of the installation checked out by someone who knows what they are doing. And on the same basis perhaps the rest of the installation.
From what you say - you do not have an earth at that switch.
NOT SORTED!!

whathesaidsmiley.gif
whathesaidsmiley.gif
whathesaidsmiley.gif
whathesaidsmiley.gif
whathesaidsmiley.gif
whathesaidsmiley.gif
whathesaidsmiley.gif
whathesaidsmiley.gif
whathesaidsmiley.gif
whathesaidsmiley.gif
whathesaidsmiley.gif
whathesaidsmiley.gif
whathesaidsmiley.gif
whathesaidsmiley.gif
whathesaidsmiley.gif
whathesaidsmiley.gif
whathesaidsmiley.gif
whathesaidsmiley.gif
whathesaidsmiley.gif
whathesaidsmiley.gif

you do not have an earth at that switch.
But what you do have is an installation which has been fiddled with by somebody so monumentally ignorant and stupid that they've used G/Y as a live conductor.

Please get an electrician as a matter of urgency. In the meantime don't touch any metal light fittings or switches.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back