Batten lamp holder - enclosure or direct to plaster?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

Just wanted to pick brains.

I am replacing a length of VIR cable at home from an existing junction box to a batten lamp holder. The lamp holder is screwed to the wall, and the cable is and will be clipped direct.

Previous cable was connected behind the lampholder, but as there is no conduit box, this means that that the 'enclosure' is plastic on the front, but bare plaster on the back.

I understood unsheathed cores should be in a full enclosure. I did consider buying a new batten, but when I was in Wickes (just because it is local) all the batten lamp holders looked more or less like this:

http://www.nswoz.com/howtobattenlampholder/ .

So I just wanted to check whether this type of fitting can only be used with a conduit box (my understanding) or whether there is another solution.

Thank you!

Sponsored Links
Previous cable was connected behind the lampholder, but as there is no conduit box, this means that that the 'enclosure' is plastic on the front, but bare plaster on the back.
That's alright. It is enclosed.

I understood unsheathed cores should be in a full enclosure.
Why are the cores unsheathed?

I don't really understand what is your concern.

Unsheathed in that the grey sheathing is removed (inside the enclosure only, am using T+E cable) to allow the brown and blue (and green/yellow) insulated cores to reach the terminals.

My concern was that a ceiling rose has a plastic backplate, as does a light switch, and I thought a batten fitting should have had one as well.

R

As long as the terminals and unsheathed cores are 'enclosed' then all's well.

If they are 'enclosed' then they will be in an 'enclosure'.
The enclosure doesn't have to be a separate item.

Sponsored Links
I tend to agree with the op, that connections should be in a non-combustible box. That type of battenholder is hopeless compared to the more modern ceiling rose style battenholder.

Those old type of battenholders can be fitted in conjunction with a round pattress, but I doubt Wickes have them.

I suppose you could fit that fitting to bare plaster as you describe, but personally I would go for the ceiling rose type battenholder if possible.

Isn't plaster non-combustable?

I don't see the diffence between these and any other light which screws to the wall or ceiling -

or downlights in plasterboard with or without plasterboard covers.

Old style batten lampholders are fine on a non combustible surface.

If you're really bothered, you could slide a PVC conduit box lid behind the whole lot.

Must batten holders will not for entry of surface mounted cable, without the possibility of damaging both fitting and cable.
A round pattress would allow access for cable.

Interesting, sounds like it may be a grey area then if it's not considered good practice but there is debate on here.

Anyway, done it now, (and not particularly bothered in this instance as the plaster is plaster on brick, not PB, plus expect the whole house will be rewired in next 5 years).

But will have a look at the items people have suggested as I have previously lifted floorboards and fitting noggin plus conduit box to rectify lack of backbox on batten fitting on PB ceiling installed by previous owner, and would have been far easier if I hadn't felt I had to. Not sure why I didn't ask my local electrical wholesaler, but then I'm not always logical...

Cheers to all!

Must batten holders will not for entry of surface mounted cable, without the possibility of damaging both fitting and cable.
A round pattress would allow access for cable.

Thanks, but the one I had already does have knockouts, the reason I was considering a new one was the lack of full plastic enclosure like a ceiling rose adapter (my Mum's 1962 council house was full of them - and the wiring was behind the plasterboard. High spec eh?) and I was hoping the modern ones would have it already included.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back