Best config for 3400w oven ( cable size - breaker)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi friends, what is the best setup for a 3400w oven with GAS hob!

Cable lenth to cu is about 8m in total

Using diversity can a 3400w oven be plugged into 13a socket??

if not then is 4mm cable with 20A breaker best or is 6mm cable with 30a breaker best option?

would appreciate any other suggestions

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Using diversity can a 3400w oven be plugged into 13a socket??
Not really because there isn't much to apply the diversification - likely only three elements.

if not then is 4mm cable with 20A breaker best or is 6mm cable with 30a breaker best option?
4 & 20 would suffice although you may wish to use 6mm² if there is any chance it may be needed in the future though still use a 20A breaker at present.

You may have to fuse-down for the hob if the igniter cable is not capable of carrying 20A.

Thanks very much. make sense.

I think I will go the route of 2.5m or 4m from oven to terminal box.

then 6mm to isolator switch and cu 20A breaker.

hopefully that will be appropriate

What's really going on here?

Are you getting someone who actually knows what they are doing to design and install and test and certify and notify this new circuit or not?

Thanks for the replies, at present i have nothing in place no ccu etc. I have an old standalone oven/hob which is being replaced.

1 sparky said 4mm cable allround will be fine into a 25amcb

but another sparky said get 6mm cable and 30amcb (for future proofing)

just need to make sure im buying/paying for the right items.

ie 4mm cable from oven to term to ccu to cu. (so no 2.5 from cooker to ccu he will be using 4mm all the way thru)

Thanks again for the help

There is an old shower connection not being used, we might use the shower 45a switch (as the ccu) but it has 40aMCB will will almost deffinatly need to be reduced in size.
If there is no circuit in place and if you intend to do the work yourself then you must inform your Local Authority Building Control before you commence.
You will have to pay their fee and advise them how you intend to complete the necessary testing and paperwork required.

Alternatively, get an electrician who is qualified to sign his own work of.
The person signing off the paperwork makes the decision regarding cable,MCB size etc.

Don't forget Samsung have put the caveat that if you fail to follow their instructions you will not be protected by their guarantee.

A new circuit will probably require additional protection of an RCD.
BTW, most modern Consumer Units do not have 25Amp MCB's and the standard cooker circuit install will be 6mm T&E from the 32Amp MCB/RCD Consumer Unit to the Cooker switch and then same to the Cooker Connection Unit. Then 4mm flex heat resistant cable to the oven itself.
thanks for your help, will call the spark in on the weekend

thanks again

Sponsored Links
I am now yes, I had 1 sparky tosser who let me down and didnt turn up after first saying 4mm2 and 20a THEN changing his mind and saying 6mm2 and 30a etc and THEN wasting 2 weeks of me chasing him and him not answering or saying I will come on weekend etc

and another clown who said 2.5 cable into 13 pin plug etc (totally wrong information) so I showed him the door

So i need to come on here and make sure I have the right knowledge from the proffesionals before yet another sparky comes and bulls!ts me for money

Its a shame but not all sparkys are reliable!

I now have 1 who will do a nice job BUT i will buy all the parts first, ie 20mcb, 6.mm2 cable etc BUT he will do the installation.

that way they can't shaft me on parts and leave me with a deathtrap as the 2nd sparky would of done. (Scary thing is that he must of fitted sooo many like this as its his main job (ovens/cookers)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back