Built in single ovens

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I am a first time poster so please be gentle :LOL: I have been trying to find a definitive answer to the following for weeks and now I hope I can find one.

I am fitting a new kitchen and just taken out the old gas cooker. Got a gas safe engineer out tomorrow to fit the gas hob (built in now, rather than a freestanding cooker). Of course I now need to put an oven in, electric now. This is where I am having an issue. I have a 13amp fcu on the wall, running to a double socket. I need an oven which will get power from this. I have had one delivered today which until it arrived, I didn't know this-on the packaging it states 3100-3400watts- about 14 amp by my maths, which seems too much for a 13amp fcu. I cant get a new feed to it, so basically, can I use the oven with that kind of wattage on either a: a higher amp cable to a 13amp heavy duty plug into the double socket fed via the fcu. Or b: swap out the socket for an fcu/outlet and wire into this direct?

The wife is wanting a cooker fitted ASAP naturally, so I have a 2200 watt cooker too. She would prefer the 3400 watt one (I admit, it is nicer!) but I want the best and safest option given my current kitchen and electrical config.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Sponsored Links
Do you not have an unused cooker circuit?

Is there a cooker switch on the wall and/or a circuit marked cooker at the consumer unit?

Hi. No I'm afraid not. I have had all the units out and the only thing I have found is an extra socket down the back of a cupboard but it is again only a 13 amp socket on the ring main by the looks of it. Seems like that is the only option I have....

So I may answer my own question here, but surely given the strains and loads across the floor in terms of electrics, I would be better with a 2200/2400watt oven than a 3400 watt one? I don't understand really how adding a fan and a clock sticks a kilowatt of power onto it. But hey ho......

Sponsored Links
The restricting factor is the 13A fuse in plugs and FCU's

A larger cable or 'heavy duty' plug don't come into it.

It depends on the operating characteristics of the oven.
Can the whole 3400W be used at the same time?

What do the instructions state?
Probably 16A as this is common in Europe.

So I may answer my own question here, but surely given the strains and loads across the floor in terms of electrics, I would be better with a 2200/2400watt oven than a 3400 watt one? I don't understand really how adding a fan and a clock sticks a kilowatt of power onto it. But hey ho......
Just saw this.

The smaller would be no problem.

There may be another element around the fan -
but then, as I asked, will they all be on together?

Hi thanks for getting back to me. There's a lot of conflicting information out there so it's good to get it cleared up! The bigger wattage one is multifunctional so I imagine the possibility is there. Whether it would alone on at once or not is another matter. I'd rather be in a position that if it was, it wouldn't cause issues, is probably the best way of putting it.

So in terms of wiring it up, what would you suggest? On the 2.4kw one mainly, seeing as that's looking like the best course of action to take. Fcu with a flex coming straight out? I can always convert the bonus socket to do this- it is well within the area I need it. Or for ease, could I drop flex in and a plug into the socket, whether it's the ring main or the fcu spurred double? The only other thing I was considering on there is the ignition for the hob which is as I say, gas....

There's very little in the instructions from what I saw- just going on about 3100 to 3400 watts. Mind you- I didn't spend über long looking because the damn thing had a scratch on the door so is going back anyway. Just need to decide if I want another one or not!

So in terms of wiring it up, what would you suggest? On the 2.4kw one mainly, seeing as that's looking like the best course of action to take. Fcu with a flex coming straight out? I can always convert the bonus socket to do this- it is well within the area I need it. Or for ease, could I drop flex in and a plug into the socket,whether it's the ring main or the fcu spurred double?
If you mean flex from FCU to socket then yes.

The only other thing I was considering on there is the ignition for the hob which is as I say, gas....
That is negligible. Just plug it in to the other socket.

Brilliant. Thank you for your help. Looks like the BBQ can have a rest tomorrow! Thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back