built under oven installation

rrt

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm replacing an existing built under hotpoint double oven with the same model (but new version) the connector unit (outlet) is positioned behind the oven, but in the installation guide it says
"if the cooker unit is to be wired into a connector unit, this may be positioned behind the cooker provided the following requirements are met
(1) the connector unit must not project from the wall more than 25mm
(2) the top of the connector must not be more than 130mm above the floor level"

#1 is fine but the unit is 400mm above the floor...is this a problem, do i need to move the outlet point, it worked fine with the old oven (and said the same thing in its installation guide). Ive done some measuring and there should be a gap of roughly 5mm between the back of the oven and the unit when installed, is this enough??

Sponsored Links
While the wiring regulations state that manufacturers' instructions must be followed they do seem to be getting extremely restrictive and over-zealous.

Stating that the connector must be a certain distance from the floor is pointless without stipulating the height of the oven.

I presume it is to ensure that the connector does not get too hot but as it has been alright in the past I see nothing wrong with connecting to the present situation.

I will probably be queried about stating one thing and doing another but the vast majority of ovens and cookers have the connectors much higher than 130mm.

Indeed, having the 'top of the connector' at that height in most oven situations would make it impossible to wire as it would be below the shelf.

It does seem excessively low at 130mm but also a very specific value. This instruction applies to all Hotpoint undercupboard double ovens that are 570mm deep.
The instructions also includes the word 'must' before the statement so I would be inclined to believe either something has happened in the past which caused a specific problem or it is an addition that gives the manufacturer a warranty opt out if not complied with.

Just wondering if they really meant the oven cavity floor, not the kitchen floor, and something got lost on the way to the printers.....

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the comments, decided to leave it where it is and will check it once we've used the oven a few times.

Thanks again :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back