Cables Under Floorboards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I recently installed floating bamboo floors in my apartment. When I took up the old floor boards part of the electrical ring passed under them in a small channel in the concrete base. I didn't think much of this and laid the new floor over the top. It is not under the floorboards for long, just across a small hallway.

Now I am not so sure though. It might have been better if this cable was in something to protect it. To change it now would be major, not only taking up the floor but the cable runs into the wall etc after it crosses the floor.

Am I being pedantic here? The circuit has RCD with 30mA trip.

Thanks,

Sponsored Links
How thick is the floating floor?

How long are the nails you are planning to bang in there?

How thick is the floating floor?

How long are the nails you are planning to bang in there?

Its all already done. The floors are 20mm thick. The skirting boards were glued on.

Didn't even think about it when putting down the new floorboards. Now that its done not so sure it was done right in the first place. Not sure what I think the problem is... fire risk maybe, I guess cable goes under boards all the time... People walking on it maybe, although I didn't put underlay where the cable is so there is a gap between the bottom of the board and the cable

Think I am probably just being silly ...

Sponsored Links
You suggested the cable is in a chase in the concrete / scree floor, so it shouldn't be compressed should it?

The danger tends to be one of mechanical damage, someone decided to nail something or screw something in to the floor could catch the cable. Ideally a nail or screw proof cover should have been used.

Least you know where it is, and should you ever move on the kindest thing you could do is include a drawing by the fuse board so the new occupants know where it is.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back