can i wire a hob & cooker together from the same supply?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have recently bought i replacement hob and cooker for my kitchen. The supply cable i have in already is a 6mm twin & earth fed from a 32A breaker, with a 45A cooker iso located in the kitchen

The new hob i have bought is rated at 7.4kW and the new cooker is rated at 3kW.
Now together i have these rated to pull just over 43A how can i go about hard wiring in these to appliances together??

Is the cable size and breakers suitable?

Sponsored Links
I can get the gear for the job
really i'm just after clarification on my situation. i need to know whether a 32A 6mm supply will cut it for a 7.4kW hob & 3kW cooker

i have recently bought i replacement hob and cooker for my kitchen. The supply cable i have in already is a 6mm twin & earth fed from a 32A breaker, with a 45A cooker iso located in the kitchen

The new hob i have bought is rated at 7.4kW and the new cooker is rated at 3kW.
Now together i have these rated to pull just over 43A how can i go about hard wiring in these to appliances together??

Is the cable size and breakers suitable?
Your figures are slightly out.
7400+3000w = 10400w@230v = 45.2 Amps.
Applying diversity = 10A +30%(45.2-10A) = 20.56A
Add 5A if your cooker switch has a socket built in.
So max possible is 25.56A.

So your 6mm2 T&E cable and 32Amp MCB are okay for these appliances.

Sponsored Links
that perfect thank you
i know my calc's are a little out, the figure i had was just a rough estimate without applying diversity etc.. keeping it simple :p ha ha

You will need 4mm² flex from outlet plate to hob

and either -

4mm² from outlet plate to oven or

if the oven comes with smaller flex and plug, wire a socket (using 4mm²) to the second connection of outlet plate.

I can get the gear for the job
really i'm just after clarification on my situation. i need to know whether a 32A 6mm supply will cut it for a 7.4kW hob & 3kW cooker
As shown by riveralt the output power and diversity of load, means you should be well covered by your existing cable and protective device.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back