change 2 gang 1 way light switch in kitchen - wiring probs!!

D

Deleted 205484

Hi,

I took off a 2 gang, 1 way light switch to replace with dimmer and stupidly didnt make a note of the wires - I remember that some of the black wires are in a connector block going nowhere, there was a loop between the common.

I have one live wire (Red) coming up as part of T&E and then I have 2 other T&E going to the light fittings (I believe) as part of the continuing ring.

I put all of the black wires together in the connector. Put the actual live into the common, put a loop across to the other common and then connected the other 2 red wires to L1 in each switch.

I now get one of the kitchen lights working but not the other and my hall lights will only switch on when I have the switch on in the kitchen whereas before they were independent of each other.

Where have I gone wrong - I have checked the stickies and other forums but am still stuck!!!!

Help...

Sponsored Links
Firstly, lighting is rarely on a ring circuit.
You seemed to have lost the feed to the hall lights, are you sure the two reds feed the lights? Your gonna need to bell out the cables I'm afraid.

"bell out the cables?"

So if one of the reds is the feed to the hall then why would it only work when I have one of the kitchen lights on.

"bell out cables" trade term referring to using an audible device connected to a battery and cable to prove continuity.

Sponsored Links
"bell out the cables?"
Use a multimeter, on continuity setting.

So if one of the reds is the feed to the hall then why would it only work when I have one of the kitchen lights on.
Because you've got it switched by the kitchen light switch.

You can opt for Plan A, or Plan B.

PLAN A:
  • Learn how lighting circuits are wired.
  • Get a multimeter and learn how to use it.
  • Identify which conductors are which at the switches and the light positions.
  • Check for voltage present, circuit continuity, switches working etc.
  • Connect everything up properly.
PLAN B:
  • Get an electrician.

As Ban says, you've got your reds muxed ip.

One red will be live in, one will probably be live out to the hall. If it is only the hall going on and off, then maybe that is the end of the circuit.

You have the live feed to the hall connected to the switched output. It should be connected to the common.

Hi, thanks for the advice so far...

I thought I would post a picture showing what is coming in and what I have wired i like. The one of the right now has one of the switches turning on one light in the kitchen, the other switch doesn't do anything but I can only have the hall lights on when I have the right hand switch on in the kitchen.

So, switch 1 is working fine.

Switch 2 doesn't control the second light but does control the switches in the hall...

Plan B could be coming into effect soon!

Switch 2 doesn't control the second light but does control the switches in the hall...

In that case the wire going into "L1" on switch 2 probably needs to go into "C" on switch 1.

What was the purpose of switch 2 previously?

There are two lights in the kitchen coming from the 2 gang switch.

One (a 3 lamp spot) over the sink and the other switch controls a couple of drop pendants over a island unit.

from what you are saying, it doesn't sound like there are enough wires going to the switch... either that, or one of the blacks shouldn't be in the terminal with the rest of the blacks...

Post pictures of what wires you have in each of the light fittings in the kitchen.

from what you are saying, it doesn't sound like there are enough wires going to the switch...
Yes there are.

either that, or one of the blacks shouldn't be in the terminal with the rest of the blacks...
Indeed.

But trial-and-error connecting blacks to switches to see what happens is a Very Bad Idea.

shanps - you must identify which wires are which, where they go etc. and then connect them up properly.

I thought that about the number of reds given that there are 3 black wires and I do remember that one of the blacks was in one of the holes on the back of the switch - just cannot remember which one and tried a couple (based on my limited knowledge) and lets just say good job I have a consumer unit.

Electrician booked for Monday!

Yes - a number of times when I originally tried a few combinations!

Only when I spoke with an electrician last night did he say just wire the reds into the switch and put the blacks elsewhere in a chock block until you can identify which wires are what - at least I managed to get some lights working.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back