charging toothbrush in shaver socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When I plug my toothbrush charger into the shaver socket in my bathroom, the plug becomes quite warm. The socket is a standard unit with 110 and 240 outlets.
The toothbrush plug does not heat up when plugged into a two pin adaptor in a 3 pin socket in my kitchen.
Is using a shaver socket for this purpose not acceptable?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply. Disappointing though, it seemed such an obviously good use for it- especially as I don't even own an electric shaver! :)

Some of the MK sockets are now designed for toothbrush use too, may be worth investigating and swapping over if its important to you.

Sponsored Links
The shaver sockets rated for continuous use have larger transformers and may require a deeper back box than the existing short duration socket.

It may not be a "simple" change of the socket.

The icon which show a tooth brush if designed for that use. Since many shavers are also rechargeable it is increasing found the sockets are continuous rated, but really if rechargeable it does not NEED to be charged in bathroom. Some dental produces use more than rated output of shaver sockets. Maximum load normally 20VA the logo "Shavers Only" is clearly there for a reason and some have a warning that loads over 20VA may cause the socket to trip out before shaving is completed. My shaver is rated 0.1A at 110 - 240 volt so does it would seem exceed the rating being 23VA. My tooth brush rated 1W or in VA that's 1VA which should not really cause a problem. My wife's tooth brush rated 1.2W again so small one would not expected a problem.

In the main the putting of a plug in the socket switches the transformer on so it could be that any continuous however small would cause a problem.

So what does it say on your tooth brush?

One would assume the heat is transmitted from the socket to the plug through the metal to metal contact. There is nothing in a non fused plug to generate heat. Poor connections can generate heat but at 20VA unlikely enough to notice so the transformer is really the only bit that will produce heat.

Another explanation for overheating could be that the toothbrush charger has a CEE 7/16 Europlug, not a BS 4573 / IEC 60884-1 shaver plug.

They look similar, but CEE 7/16 Europlug pins are smaller in diameter, so may not make good contact in a shaver socket.

The plug on your toothbrush probably has a built in switch mode supply, mine has and it is rated 100 to 240 volts. A toothbrush charger is a small load compared to a shaver. Shaver sockets have a chronically poor regulation and on a light load such as a toothbrush charger could well be putting out around 270 volts, hence the heating problem. If it is rated at 100 to 240 volts plug it into the 110v outlet. On a low load this will probably be around 130v but that is within the range of the toothbrush so is OK.

This is how I charge my toothbrush and it has given no problems at all.

It is defo the plug that becomes warm- not the socket. And yes, I have no idea what is in the plug but clearly there is something that is generating the heat. It does in fact seem quite stiff so the euro plug seems a possibility.
Lots to investigate!

thanks for all the advice

As Winston suggests, try the 110 side for a day or two and see if it still gets warm.

Yep , the plug gets warm on the 110 socket too. Curiouser and curiouser.
Apparently, MK have a technical hot line so I'll see what they say.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back