Connecting 5 double sockets to one Plug...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In fish tank stands its common to link plug sockets to run equipment off in the fish tank stand.
Instead of an ugly extention lead i want about 5 double plug sockets on a peice of wood which i can then plug in to the wall.

something that looks like this..

reef4.JPG

I currently have two 6-socket extention leads which are not ideal.

I won't be pulling anyway near like 13a so I think it'd be ok.

How would i go about this?

Thank you,
neil

Sponsored Links
no electrician [a chippie]
can they not argue its a fixed installation so needs to be hard wired as in 3 sockets in the ring and 2 or 3 spurs underneath
not sure my self hence the initial question :D

Sponsored Links
The biggest difficulty is providing a cord grip in the first socket for the flex which is fairly essential.
A bit of lateral thinking can solve it in this case

The biggest difficulty is providing a cord grip in the first socket for the flex which is fairly essential.
A bit of lateral thinking can solve it in this case

Do you mean so the flex with the plug on it doesn't get yanked out of the first double socket?

There are 12 sockets there.
12 backboxes (with only 2 sockets currently attached). The OP seemed pretty clear that 'about 5 double sockets' were required - so I suspect that (if what we're seeing is a picture of the situation in question), about 7 of the boxes are for something other than sockets (or are 'spares').
I won't be pulling anyway near like 13a
Let's hope you don't pull more - 4A per double socket could result in a fire.
Even if the whole lot were fed by a 13A fused plug? 8 outlets fed from one such fused plug is far from unknown in extension leads (6 outlets obviously being very common).

Kind Regards, John

As John says when fed from a 13 amp plug the maximum load cannot exceed the current the fuse will pass.

When laying out the sockets give thought to the wall warts ( power supplies built into a plug ) as these are often larger than ordinary plugs and therefor sockets need to be spaced apart to allow for this.

Even if the whole lot were fed by a 13A fused plug? 8 outlets fed from one such fused plug is far from unknown in extension leads (6 outlets obviously being very common).
Yes.

Did you not see the recent thread on this issue?

blow the 13 amp fuse in the plug ??

Which wouldn't be very nice for the fishes, shrimp or coral when the pump, filters, heater, RO kit, and lighting fail.

OP to kill off vagueness why don't you add up the loads in watts of all the items required and confirm back the total load likely to be used as a constant and at peak (should some of the kit be timer based or used just for a few hours each day).

From the sound of it you simply want to have an extension socket board with a flex out on a 13 amp plug. Lets make sure 13 amp (13 x230v or approx 3000w) is enough for the job.

If the stock in tank is stupid values (some runs to £1000's or £10,000's) do you need to consider mains failure backup such as a UPS ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back