connecting a free standing electric Cooker

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
My son has just moved into a new flat and needs a free standing electiic cooker and hob

he has the electrical connection plate and I did not check the fuse switch - but its on a modern fuse box and the property is only 10years old

1) I reasonably competent to carry out my own wiring etc - although not recently qualified
2) Can i connect the cooker to the electrical connection plate now under the recent rules change
3) I know in the past you could get 30A and 45A connections - but with a RCB the power ratings are slightly different now .

This would be the sort of cooker we would get
http://www.hotpoint.co.uk/products/-/products/F071589

And the power rating is
Energy consumption -
Main: 0.86 kWh
- Second: 0.97 kWh

Sponsored Links
Your link shows a GAS cooker.

However:
1) Doesn't matter.
2) Yes.
3) Don't understand.

And the power rating is
Energy consumption -
Main: 0.86 kWh
- Second: 0.97 kWh
That's not the relevant rating.
As long as it is less than 15kW you will be alright on a 30A fuse/32A MCB.

Sponsored Links
Brilliant , thank you very much for such a speedy reply,

I will go out with him tomorrow and look at various free standing cooker/hob and make sure we buy one under or at 15KW
i will check the fuse as well to see if 32A (maybe 45A)
and get a length of 6mm cable to connect it up with , as I'm allowed to do that

wasn't sure - but i though under the new guidelines I was allowed to replace what there - providing I do not make any installation changes

thanks for clarifying

I will go out with him tomorrow and look at various free standing cooker/hob and make sure we buy one under or at 15KW.
It will be.

and get a length of 6mm cable to connect it up with , as I'm allowed to do that
4mm² will do for that if 32A.

wasn't sure - but i though under the new guidelines I was allowed to replace what there - providing I do not make any installation changes
Yes. Very few restrictions now.

I will go out with him tomorrow and look at various free standing cooker/hob and make sure we buy one under or at 15KW
I think you will find that it's next-to-impossible to find one that is not under 15 kW.
i will check the fuse as well to see if 32A (maybe 45A) and get a length of 6mm cable to connect it up with , as I'm allowed to do that
If you're talking about the flexible cable to the oven, unless anyone disagrees, I would have thought that 4mm² (heat resistant) flex (32A) would be plenty adequate.

Kind Regards, John
Edit: damnit - typed too slowly, yet again :)

I think you will find that it's next-to-impossible to find one that is not under 15 kW.
It's actually quite easy to find one.

vezelay.bmp

What's not so easy is paying for one, or fitting it into a flat. :D

I have been told today , that installation of a cooker now requires a certificate and is required by an insurance company
is this true or just sales talk

I have been told today , that installation of a cooker now requires a certificate and is required by an insurance company
is this true or just sales talk
I imagine that depends upon what the flat's insurance policy says and also what your son's tenancy agreement/contract says (if the flat is rented).

Kind Regards, John

I have been told today , that installation of a cooker now requires a certificate
Who told you that?

It's an appliance. I wonder what sort of certificate they think exists for the installation of appliances?

Currys - which I often do not believe, hence the follow-up question here

I thought the certificate was for the main installation or adding any extra components, like installing the wiring and fuse for a shower , that type of work
But as a Cooker is hardwired I wasnot sure if it also fell into this certificate requirement now

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back