consumer unit tripping

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My dad has a problem with a consumer unit at a house he bought. The only item connected to the consumer unit is an Electric oven. There is no lighting or ring circuits connected to the unit. Only positive, negative and earth from the meter and grid. But when anything on the oven is switched on (even just the light) the consumer unit trips out.

Sponsored Links
Has he just installed this himself then? Or did it ever work before?

What exactly is "tripping out"??
RCD, MCB, RCBO??

Has the item got a test switch. ??

Sounds to me like the consumer unit is wired incorrectly: eg neutral in the wrong place.

Sponsored Links
The unit was wired by the grid people. I'm an auto electrician so i had a look at it the only thing that was wired was the ring circuit which worked fine but when the oven was switched on it all tripped. So i disconnected the ring in both positive negative and earth and still had the same problem

The unit was wired by the grid people.
The grid people generally don't install consumer units, they only deal with supply side.
I'm an auto electrician so i had a look at it the only thing that was wired was the ring circuit which worked fine but when the oven was switched on it all tripped.
That points to a fault at the oven
So i disconnected the ring in both positive negative and earth and still had the same problem
Please explain this!
You disconnected all conductors of both legs of the RFC and when you switched oven on, the RCD tripped? Even though this is the only circuit that is/was electrically connected?

i wish i had taken one. But what i can add is i disconnected the oven from the consumer unit and ran a spare cable direct from the the oven to the consumer unit and still had the same problem.

i wish i had taken one. But what i can add is i disconnected the oven from the consumer unit and ran a spare cable direct from the the oven to the consumer unit and still had the same problem.
Did you test the new cable/circuit before energising?
If not the fault could be anywhere on that circuit but the likelihood is that its either at board or at oven.
Try converting this new circuit to a socket circuit and plug in something, then see if it trips!

So your RCD is tripping, but you haven't mentioned the rating of the mcb you've got the oven circuit connected to??? You could have a faulty mcb, have you tried connecting the circuit to a spare 20A mcb?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back