Consumer unit wont reset ...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As above - woke this morning to find half the lights and sockets upstairs and half the lights and sockets downstairs do not work.

Luckily fridge freezer and major items are still on working sockets - as are the kettle (vital) and washer - dryer - and oven and hob still working.

As everyone likes pics there are some here so you can see what we have.
View media item 41142View media item 41144View media item 41145View media item 41143(Black armoured cable is not the incoming supply - it in fact goes up the external wall to recently fitted shower - incoming supply is white painted)

CU wont reset at all - not even briefly - I did hear something scampering through the loft last night (luckily Mrs Pyro did not !)

Could rodent damage to any wiring up there cause this fault ?

There are no plans for me to sort anything out - am a tenant so just call the electrician in and the landlord pays the bill. But if I can narrow it down to let the electrician know I found some damaged wiring in the loft, that might save an aweful lot of time and effort.

Gerry

Sponsored Links
Unplug all loads then try reset or even open all MCB Protected on left and then reset one by one. See which activates the RCD.

Sponsored Links
If that doesn't work turn off all MCBS on the left and see if it resets.

Ok - unplugged and/or switched off anything I could - no reset.
Turned off all MCB's on the left - no reset.
Turned off main switch - no reset.

Best leave it to an electrician if it's not your property. sounds like some kind of earth/neutral fault as RCD not re-setting.

Only real way now is to fault find.

After taking a look in the loft if you've heard rodents a squirrel or something similar could have chewed some cable or something up there?

I'd start removing the neutral from the upstairs lighting if there's nothing completely obvious.

Ok guys - thanks for the help so far. I'll take a quick look in the loft - see if anything obvious is going wrong, then its electrician time.

No intention of poking around too far in things I cant see waiting to bite me !

Gerry

Investigate the loft circuits as mentioned for any obvious damage.
The only thing then will involve poking around, disconnecting neutrals from circuits at CU, so call an electrician.
Any outside lights on that side of board, you have a shower any moisture problems with the enclosure?

Shower recently fitted ??

What type of Switch for the Shower ?? , I take it the Shower is on the New Style MCB (LHS - Unmarked !) , If its a Pullswitch there maybe a Problem with the Terminations in the Pullswitch , Would love to see a Picccy of how the SWA is Terminated for the Shower ?

Lucky

Turned off main switch - no reset.
If you're sure that's right, the RCD is now faulty (how often do you test it?) or there is an external fault.

You need a proper electrician.

Hi there - been doing a little more non invasive digging for you and have some more pics to keep everyone happy.

Shower is very recent < 6 months, fitted by heating engineer not usual electrician.
After fitting we could not use on hot as it would (CU) trip for the shower. Not surprising as old shower was very old and this new one is double the power.
Heating engineer came back to upgrade cable, and all seemed to be well.

Onto pics !

swa is not entering the CU, grey T&E exits the CU into a junction box and then to swa. this swa then goes externally to enter the loft space. Junction box was hidden in earlier pics as I am not tall enough and it was tucked away.
View media item 41157View media item 41158
On entering the loftspace the swa terminates into another junction box, then onto grey T&E where it disappears down a hole to the shower on/off switch - pullcord type with a neon and a mechanical indicator that shows green when on. I never use this switch and leave it on always.

View media item 41159View media item 41160
The older grey T&E in the pics is I am hoping, not the old stuff that went from the switch to the shower unit itself and still does - as it seems to disappear down another hole above the site of the new shower unit ...........................

@ JohnD - I turned off the switch (far right of the CU) which I assume should take away power from all of the RCD's and still no reset.
I dont test it as often as I should (every month?) but do normally do it when checking meter readings to submit online.

Edit - electrician (proper) has already been contacted and should hopefully be here tomorrow.

Must admit I was a little perturbed by the way its been wired up as today is the 1st time I have actually investigated it !

I wont open them up - its dark, I have no lights ! and the electrician we normally use should be here tomorrow. Luckily my landlord is V good and always gets these things sorted asap.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back