controlling appliances with timers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking for a temporary solution to a potentially dangerous situation.

Small home for two people with learning disabilities. They a assessed as needing basic support, so only get 2-3 hours per day.

One of the tenants leaves the tumble dryer on for hours at a time.

Is there a timer out there that does not operate on a clock basis, coming on at a pre set time. But a timer that will allow the appliance to be switched on at any time, but can be set to only allow the appliance to work for one hour, before needing to be reset?

Food is also left to burn on the electric hob. I was wondering about connecting the smoke alarm to a switching device which would cut the power to the oven should food start to burn. Not sure how I would do that?

Its not an ideal situation, measures need to be put into place which since involving social services , takes an age.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Looking for a temporary solution to a potentially dangerous situation.

Small home for two people with learning disabilities. They a assessed as needing basic support, so only get 2-3 hours per day.

One of the tenants leaves the tumble dryer on for hours at a time.

Is there a timer out there that does not operate on a clock basis, coming on at a pre set time. But a timer that will allow the appliance to be switched on at any time, but can be set to only allow the appliance to work for one hour, before needing to be reset?
Most cheap tumble dryers only have a 90 minute dial - so you would have to reset it each time.

Food is also left to burn on the electric hob. I was wondering about connecting the smoke alarm to a switching device which would cut the power to the oven should food start to burn. Not sure how I would do that?

The problem will be that the smoke alarm may kick in too late - e.g. after the fire in the kitchen has started or falsely activate in normal cooking - so heat alarm for kitchen in any case.

There are hobs that have spillover and overheat protection built in but I have not seen them in the uk.

http://www.awardappliances.co.nz/products/product.html?product=107

Its not an ideal situation, measures need to be put into place which since involving social services , takes an age.

Thanks
Not sure what your relationship is to the two people mentioned but your description of their difficulties and in the case of the hob potential lethal consequences makes me feel you should strongly highlight this issue to social services in written form and request an immediate reassessment.
Been through this myself and the best solution was to disconnect the hob and utilitse the Local Authority meals on wheels service, if they have one.

Small home for two people with learning disabilities. They a assessed as needing basic support, so only get 2-3 hours per day. One of the tenants leaves the tumble dryer on for hours at a time.
As riveralt has said, I'm not sure I understand that one, since tumble driers usually come with their own 'count-down timer' with allows a maximum of 60 to 90 mins operation without resetting (able bodied people forget these potential fire hazards, too!)

Food is also left to burn on the electric hob. Its not an ideal situation, measures need to be put into place which since involving social services , takes an age.
As you say, a difficult situation. Whilst waiting for social services, do you know if there is an Occupational Therapist on the case? If not, a chat with the relevant GP might get an OT assessment done fairly quickly, which might result in some direct action (they have lots of solutions and gadgets at their disposal) and may also act as a trigger to social services.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replys

Re the dryer.
The tenant re starts it every time it stops, I wanted a remote switch which would disconnect power after an hour, so still enabling him to dry his clothes but would need to be reset by a worker,

That switch looks interesting, I wonder if it counts down when plugged in or when the appliance is switched on, will check it out.

The hob problem. All relevant people are aware of the situation.

The hob burning issue though a worry has happened three times in about 5 years. I guess they are trying to balance his right to independence and his and others own safety.

Re the dryer. The tenant re starts it every time it stops, I wanted a remote switch which would disconnect power after an hour, so still enabling him to dry his clothes but would need to be reset by a worker,
Ah, that's a bit more of a problem, then. I see your point. I imagine that your problem will be finding any sort of timer that the tenant can't reset, unless you can lock it away somewhere.

The hob burning issue though a worry has happened three times in about 5 years. I guess they are trying to balance his right to independence and his and others own safety.
Well, at risk of criticism for bringing levity into a serious situation, I'm far from sure that my other half hasn't beaten that record in the past 5 years, without the assistance of any learning disabilities :)

I'm glad to hear that everyone knows about these problems, but it certainly sounds as if an OT/'ADL' (Activities of Daily Living) assessment is what is needed.

Kind Regards, John.

Re the dryer.
The tenant re starts it every time it stops, I wanted a remote switch which would disconnect power after an hour, so still enabling him to dry his clothes but would need to be reset by a worker,

A timed relay with a cycle of 1 hr on and 2 hrs / 4 hrs / whatever off might be suitable, wouldn't need a worker to reset it but would stop continuous drying.

As to the tumble drier not a safety issue just the cost of it running. To include a timer will likely cause the user problems using it so more down to selecting one which as mine is can't be switched on for more than 2 hours so would not be a problem.

The same applies to the hob. According to heat setting my hob does have an upper time limit. It also has a temperature limit, And auto switches off when pan is removed. All to that the ceramic surface is cool enough not to burn a £5 note even if the pan is placed on top of it. However warning get one with knobs on it. I had huge problems with my mother and touch controls. So do not get one with silly touch controls select one with knobs.

As far as I am aware nearly every induction hob has the safety features I list. Only draw back some pacemaker users because the pacemakers (not the hobs) don't comply with EMC rules they can't use induction hobs.

Although my induction hob has detent at each extreme of travel to select auto-boil then simmer or boost it work quite well without using these features so would not be a problem for those with learning problems.

But again I can't say it enough times don't go for touch controls ensure it has knobs Belling I know does do both a stand alone and a built in with knobs.

The other option with tumble drier is the 8 hour version which runs over night so could be loaded and unloaded by the helper.

A small block PLC like Mitsubishi FX series would be ideal for this as B-A-S suggested. It could be mounted inside the dryer casing and have the simplest of programs which would be no more than around 4 rungs!

Would need a contactor as well, but they are a few quid for a suitable one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back