Cooker earth wire too short

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I`m replacing my cooker switch, and when I came to fit the new switch the earth terminals were on the opposite side of the switch, thus rendering the earth wires too short, not sure on what to do next I put the old switch back and decided to have a think. What I`ve come up with, I`m not sure if it`s ok or not, so I thought I`d ask here, could I connect the short earth wire to the metal back box with a self tapping screw and washer and then run a wire thats long enough from that self tapping screw to the earth terminal on the switch

Sponsored Links
I`m replacing my cooker switch, and when I came to fit the new switch the earth terminals were on the opposite side of the switch, thus rendering the earth wires too short, not sure on what to do next I put the old switch back and decided to have a think. What I`ve come up with, I`m not sure if it`s ok or not, so I thought I`d ask here, could I connect the short earth wire to the metal back box with a self tapping screw and washer and then run a wire thats long enough from that self tapping screw to the earth terminal on the switch
It would be better if you connect the old short earth cable to the new extended version via a terminal block - rather than what you propose.

Does the metal back box not have an earth terminal in a corner?

If the existing earth could reach it, terminate it and a similar size piece of earth from the terminal on the back box on to the switch earth terminal.

If you need to extend the earth wire, twist on an additional bit, solder and sleeve.

It would be better if you connect the old short earth cable to the new extended version via a terminal block - rather than what you propose.

I thought space might be an issue behind the switch, so ruled that out, adding a terminal block would probably not allow the switch to sit on the box properly

Sponsored Links
Does the metal back box not have an earth terminal in a corner?

If the existing earth could reach it, terminate it and a similar size piece of earth from the terminal on the back box on to the switch earth terminal.

If you need to extend the earth wire, twist on an additional bit, solder and sleeve.

I did n`t notice to be honest, but most metal back boxes do have one don`t they? I take it that if it has n`t then the solution I suggested would be ok?

I thought space might be an issue behind the switch, so ruled that out, adding a terminal block would probably not allow the switch to sit on the box properly
If the back box is properly sized then a single terminal block will take up very little space and fit easily.
I do not think what you propose is right - and could cause problems with continuity.
Order of preference:
Complete new cable.
Crimp old to new.
terminal block.
back box connections.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back