cooker hood wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm wiring up my cooker hood using the same 13 amp fuse spurred off a double socket however i only have a plastic back box for the 13 amp fuse as this is what was there before. ..........The hood works for a bit then the fuse blows. ......Am i right in thinking that the plastic back box should be replaced for a metal one thus giving a better earth.......The hood wiring itself doesn't have an earth wire but im thinking that in order to get a proper earth both double and fuse box must be metal.......is this correct

Sponsored Links
Hi, if the fuse is blowing you have a fault with the wiring to the hood or the hood it's self. The backing box ,if pastic, is unlikely to be the problem. My advice - get an electrician in to check :) Are you using the correct fuse rating for the hood, it will be in the instruction book ?

Regards,

DS

I took the fuse switch cover off and is all wired correctly.....popped it back on and it worked. .....Then i tightened the screws and it went off again. ........i think the problem is with the fuse switch itself......the instruction manual says it requires a 3 amp fuse so will get the 3 amp one tomorrow and a new switch

Sponsored Links
Hi, yes all good. Please do not be tempted to fit in a larger rated fuse.

Kinds regards,

DS

Sounds unlikely, but not impossible.

I was working with a CU the other day that the RCD would not hold in - established it wasn't the installation, as with the cover of the CU, the RCD would hold in indefinitely, put the cover back on and pop. Needless to say the RCD went in the bin

I don't think it did to be fair. I'm pretty sure it actually ended in ager, but it had had a hard life so it wasn't it's fault!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back