Dimplex Duoheat DUO400i storage heater - Diagnosing fault

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, Does anyone know how i can diagnose a fault with my Dimplex DUO400i storage heater or suspect what the fault is most likely to be? Its 5 years old and won't switch on, i have tested the continuity of the wall switches 2 fuses, limit thermostat, over temp cutout, heating elements, and the pcb controller and they all take a current.

PS - how do i reset the thermal cut off, the second picture shows the temp cutout but this doesn't react?

Thanks

Andrew

Sponsored Links
Use your continuity tester. Start with the live input to the heater and trace the continuity right through to the element.

Tham means, not testing the items in isolation, check it from the start and work through the heater. Look carefully at the two overheat devices (your centre, top picture). Looks like the left hand one has popped up?

Thanks Taylortwocities, I had a go and i believe i have tracked it down to the the power supply unit PCB. I couldn't get a current to go through the whole part and i found black scorch marks on the under side of the circuit board. I'll replace it and post back if it works.

I checked the overheat device which looked like a switch had popped out but it doesn't press in, i'm thinking as you suggest it is a reset but pops out more so when it cuts out.

Thanks

Andrew

Sponsored Links
The power supply unit didn't solve the problem, i decided to use a part from my duo300i from my hallway to see if that would fix it.

I swapped the PCB controller from the Duo300i to the Duo400i and it worked briefly then showed what i think is an error code on the display (pictured) 5 red non flashing lights on the right hand side and the child lock light engaged. the child lock doesn't disengage. Does anyone know what this means or how to fix?.

I called Dimplex and the operator didn't know what to do, error codes flash and no reset but was happy to give out an engineers number to come take a look and repair.

I put the controller back in my Duo300i and now that shows the 5 bars and child lock too, I hold my hands up and admit that i shouldn't have swapped controllers and i am a bit annoyed with myself as i now have my only 2 radiators out of action in mid December.

[/img]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back