DNO's supply Max allowed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I've been looking in to buying a old house which needs to be refurbished. It's a 3 story house with large grounds. I plan to put a mini theatre on the 3rd floor and a workshop in the garden if the deal goes down.

What would be the maximum supply DNO's can give me?? the third floor on it's own would consume well over 100A in lighting.

Thanks
Jake

Sponsored Links
What would be the maximum supply DNO's can give me??

Whatever you are willing to pay for!!!

1ph normally 100A
Split ph 2x100A
3ph from 100A/phase to how high you want

The maximum single phase for a domestic property is normally 100amp.
The property may have a lower value fuse and the DNO may (or may not) be able/prepared to upgrade it.

If you need mare than 100amp you would need to request a 3-phase supply. This will require a new cable to your house from the street so be prepared to pay the equivalent of a new car for this.

But 100amps in lighting alone? Blimey! What are you planning, the Festival Hall?

Might be an indoor garden for a canny horticulturist.

Even for a modern stage 24 Kw of lights is a bit of the very bright side.

Sponsored Links
HI

Oh ok then thats good insight. Have just found this website- http://www.ce-electricuk.com/page/services/index.cfm it's got some good advise.

It would have to be 3Phase anyway all the dimmers run of 3 phase even thought they can be used in single phase. Ahhhh i now fear this is going to cost a bomb as the house is right in the middle of no where and the nearest power line is a good 100ft away.

100A was just an estimate of 500x48. There will also be the surge load and if i decide to use 650W lamps in some lanterns.

Yes i know is a lot of power, but i probably won't even hit half of that more like 10-15KW.

Thanks
Jake

If you dig your own trench and lay in a suitable duct for the DNO to pull their supply cable through then it might come in as low as a couple of thousand pounds plus the cost of the digging.

More bad news, if you are in a rural location it may mean that a transformer change is required and/or that 3 phase may not be available

HI

If you dig your own trench and lay in a suitable duct for the DNO to pull their supply cable through then it might come in as low as a couple of thousand pounds plus the cost of the digging.

Corrr thats a lot of digging, but if what westie101 has just said that 3phase might not be available if could prove pointless.

westie101- So what would be available??
Would this mean i might have to use a form of generator??

Thanks
Jake

westie101- So what would be available?
Not a question I could easily answer.
You best way forward would be to apply for what load you need to the DNO and ask for a budget quote, they are the onl;y ones who can decide what could be available.

HI

Right ok thank you, i will look up the DNO for my area and see what they say.

Thanks for all your help.
Jake

Might be an indoor garden for a canny horticulturist.

really, surely that depends on the size of the stage/theatre.

The smallest 300 seater I work in has 63A 3Ph for its lighting alone, which by my reconning is 43.4Kw, its frequently got 60+Kw up allowing for diversity.

depending on what you hang, 24Kw is not much in the theatre world, when "normal" lamps can easily be 2-2.5Kw.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back