does a fuse rcd thing exist

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
http://aaelectricalservices.co.uk/images/Consumer unit replacement/old_fuse_box.jpg

I have a similar thing above but my fusebox is white and has a single 30A fuse for my shower and is separate to that but only has One slot.

Can I get an Rcd but in built to a fuse? I don't wan't to go out and replace it and get a sparks, I've fitted my triton cara and it works fine but has no rcd and I'm a little worried, thanks,

Sponsored Links
No it is not possible to get an RCD for this fuse box.

You can either fit an RCD adjacent to it, or have the fusebox replaced for a new type which can incorporate an RCD.

Have you got a photo of your installation.
The shower should have RCD protection.
You can get fuse that have integrated RCD protection but not to fit that type of board.
You have options:
Change board for new with RCD protection
or install a RCD protected shower unit external to the board.

29012011181.jpg

well heres the fusebox, the white ones fuse blew on my old shower so its working fine and has been cleaned up.

can I do either of the things myself? which would be better and which would be cheaper?

If asked this before on here but the white box seems to be working fine so I don't see the need changing it.

Sponsored Links
:eek:

Haven't we seen that piccy before???????

And doesn't that installation look frightening???!!!

Can I get an Rcd but in built to a fuse? I don't wan't to go out and replace it and get a sparks,
What happened to this:

right, plan number two, I've decided to replace the whole board.
Would it be clever to buy one of these
http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.j...{9792013}/categories<{9792025}&isSearch=false
and get an electrician to fit it?? do they comply with regulation and will it cover my shower?
or get an electrician to do it?
:?:

I've fitted my triton cara and it works fine but has no rcd and I'm a little worried, thanks,
The smallest Triton Cara is 7.8kW at 230V.

The instructions tell you to use a 40A device.

Just what's going on inside that head of yours which makes you think a 30A one will be OK?

well heres the fusebox, the white ones fuse blew on my old shower
Funny how a 9.5kW shower will do that to a 30A fuse, isn't it.

so its working fine and has been cleaned up ... the white box seems to be working fine so I don't see the need changing it.
It's bound to be fine - all it needed was the soot removing. It couldn't possibly have been damaged by being overloaded and having the fuse blow over and over again, could it.

:rolleyes:

By the way I'm pretty good with all the electrical stuff.
No you are not - you are completely useless, and until you accept that and stop fiddling with things you don't understand you are also b****y dangerous.

how does it?
In all the ways you were told about here: //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=284963

It just gets worse and worse, doesn't it.

Heat/overload damaged undersized rewirable fuse box possibly on 6mm² "protected" by the service fuse, no RCD, no lights upstairs for a year, old aluminium and VIR wiring and now "recently I've been feeling electricity around the sink".

We have a poster who thinks that cleaning the soot off that fusebox so that it looks OK is all that's needed, who can't see what's wrong with an 8.5kW appliance on a 30A fuse, who asks questions like "what is this 1-way Board and not a Double Pole Isolator all about, something I should know about?" and yet thinks he's "pretty good with all the electrical stuff".

Let's hope the penny drops soon.

If you ask the same question enough times maybe you will get a different answer!
Yes one can add a box with an RCD but in real terms the cost would likely be higher than doing the job correct in first place.
Replacing it with this would be an option but that's to my mind £40 waisted as the rest of the installation also needs up-grading and once that is done the unit shown would be redundant.

Although Reference Method C* (Clipped direct) allows 47A with 6mm sq cable and that's so close to 50A that it is unlikely to cause a problem what we don't know is it Reference Method C* (Clipped direct) all the way to the shower. For all we know for part of the run it may be Reference Method 103# (in a stud wall with thermal insulation with cable not touching the inner wall surface) in which case reduced to 23A so it would be grossly overloaded. Likely it does somewhere go through something which will limit cable to 32A.

Now I am sure you would not install a barque in the living room as you could then save money by burning rubbish instead of using central heating so why would you do something equally as dangerous with electric.

C* For full installation method refer to Table 4A2 Installation method 20 but for flat twin and earth cable.

http://aaelectricalservices.co.uk/images/Consumer%20unit%20replacement/old_fuse_box.jpg

Is that second cable damaged?

Wny don't you get someone to check over and upgrade the old fuse boxes and possibly part/all of the installation?

why are we wasting time replying to this idiot, he doesn't listen to us or the numerous other forums he's asked the same questions on.
as the dragons say :-
i'm out

Just been following this and saw the link to the first time these questions were asked.
Seeing that spur with the 8 core is sickening. Please do not think all alarm installers do this. We do not.
I have seen it in many occasions though over almost 30 yrs and make it good. Also find the culprits where possible for retraining ( Read *******ing) and even a dismissal.
Trouble is when you take over others kit its not always possible to find the dickwad.

Its shameful, discusting and downright dangerous.
Again we are not all like that.

Regards

Alarm

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back