Drilling through external wall for an outside light.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What size drill bit should I be using to run the cable through the wall ? My thickest bit is 14mm.

Also, do I need to put something into the hole to protect the cable before the cable actually goes through ? Like a conduit I suppose.

Cheers, Lee.[/b]

Sponsored Links
What size drill bit should I be using to run the cable through the wall ? My thickest bit is 14mm.

Also, do I need to put something into the hole to protect the cable before the cable actually goes through ? Like a conduit I suppose.

Cheers, Lee.[/b]

Well, how thick is the cable and how thick is the wall? ;)

You can run the cable in conduit, but you don't have to if it's going straight into the back of the light and not being exposed to UV if it's not an exterior cable.

If you're using a single 1.0mm or 1.5mm flex then a 10mm bit should be fine.

I'll probably use 2.5mm because I'll have some left after putting some other cabling in.

The light and the PIR are separate so if I have to run some cable on the outside, how do I protect it ?

Sponsored Links
angle the hole slightly down from inside to out to prevent water coming in

Sorry Salad but you should be aware that sealant can fail and that a downward slope on the hole ( outside lower than inside ) is a better way to prevent water ingress.

In a cavity wall a down slope is essential to prevent moisture bridging from outer wall to inner wall along the cable.

Sorry Salad but you should be aware that sealant can fail and that a downward slope on the hole ( outside lower than inside ) is a better way to prevent water ingress.

In a cavity wall a down slope is essential to prevent moisture bridging from outer wall to inner wall along the cable.

No need to be sorry.

I'm not saying that downwards out isn't a good idea, but I've never had a seal fail ;)

I tend to use gravity, seal the hole and put a drip loop on the cable, then you've covered yourself!!

what sort of wall arew you drilling through? If it is a cavity wall, the cable should be protected in the cavity with a conduit of some sort, against falling material within cavity or potential insulation which could effect the pvc insulation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back