earth cable size

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a electrician coming in next week to update our electric fuse boxes,he's given a quote which I am more than happy with. I have run in a new shower cable for a 10.8 kw shower which he will connect up. He did say that he would have to run a new earth cable from the new consumer unit to the cold water main under the sink. As usual its no were near the consumer unit and in order to save him time lifting floorboards,carpets etc I am going to run the cable before he comes. I am not to sure on cable size for the earth,is it 9mm, I won't do any connections,but can't see a problem putting the cable in myself.

Sponsored Links
It's 10mm² in a domestic situation. The electrician will need to look at both cable runs carefully if he wants to sign the work off as his own. I take it you have agreed this work with him ?

10mm. It is measured by the cross-section area of the conductor and will be marked on the drum (it is not the external diameter).

I'm surprised the electrician didn't tell you when you asked him

A single length with no joints. The gas pipe has to be done as well.

In both cases, within 600mm of where the pipe enters your home and is metal, on your side of any meter or stopcock, but before any T joint.

It is not notifiable work, but the shower cable is.

Sponsored Links
10mm. It is measured by the cross-section area of the conductor and will be marked on the drum (it is not the external diameter).

I'm surprised the electrician didn't tell you when you asked him

A single length with no joints. The gas pipe has to be done as well.

In both cases, within 600mm of where the pipe enters your home and is metal, on your side of any meter or stopcock, but before any T joint.

It is not notifiable work, but the shower cable is.

Thanks for that, its an after thought me running the cable in, he was fine about the shower cable, showed him what i was doing and it was fine. Cable will be in one run, approx 10 metres in total,will end up right next to stop tap under kitchen sink, four metres will run under the floorboards upstairs,then a two metre drop through the ceiling down wall in surface cable trunking and then under kitchen units behind kickboard to sink unit and stop tap.

He did say that he would have to run a new earth cable from the new consumer unit to the cold water main under the sink.
It depends on several things.

It may be necessary, it may not.
It is impossible to tell without more details.

The 10mm² to which the other posts refer is a one size fits (nearly) all.

For a start, can we have a picture of where the Earthing conductor joins the incoming supply cable?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back