Earth Wire Essential Or Not For External Security Light?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am replacing an old outdoor security light. The current wiring to the light is two core red and blue. The new light has connectins for a blue, brown and a :?: yellow and green earth wire. The instructions say clearly that the light should not be fitted without an earth wire, but this would mean getting new cabling fitted in and be an expensive job for a professional electrician.

My question is, how essential actually is it to have the light earthed? Obviously the old one wasn't. If it is indeed dangerous to fit the new light without an earth, is it likely that I will be able to find a model that doesn't require an earth fitted and if so why would some models need to be earthed and some not? Is it that all modern outdoor lights now require earth connections but older ones didn't?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Sponsored Links
My question is, how essential actually is it to have the light earthed?
Vital, it is the most important wire.
Obviously the old one wasn't.
Should it have been?
If it is indeed dangerous to fit the new light without an earth, is it likely that I will be able to find a model that doesn't require an earth fitted
I wouldn't think so but even if you find one the cable should still have a cpc (earth) in it.
and if so why would some models need to be earthed and some not?
Very old plastic/unsuitable/wrongly wired one but as said cable needs it.
Is it that all modern outdoor lights now require earth connections but older ones didn't?
Yes, for some reason the Government/Insurance companies don't like you burning houses and killing people.

Well i'd of thought that it is essential that it is earthed- to prevent anything becoming live in the event of a fault.

When I Moved into my house it had a floodlight wired in 2 core joined onto another bit of 2 core with these of all things rated at 12V... :eek:

1220h-outlined.jpg

I am replacing an old outdoor security light. The current wiring to the light is two core red and blue.
Are you sure there isn't a yellow cable there as well as well as a bare earth?
The new light has connectins for a blue, brown and a :?: yellow and green earth wire. The instructions say clearly that the light should not be fitted without an earth wire, but this would mean getting new cabling fitted in and be an expensive job for a professional electrician.
I think if your asking the question you should really be getting that 'expensive' electrician in to sort it out for you.

My question is, how essential actually is it to have the light earthed? Obviously the old one wasn't. If it is indeed dangerous to fit the new light without an earth,
So you have already answered that question.
is it likely that I will be able to find a model that doesn't require an earth fitted and if so why would some models need to be earthed and some not? Is it that all modern outdoor lights now require earth connections but older ones didn't?
Look here.
http://www.double-insulated-lighting.co.uk/class-2-outdoor-lighting.htm

Sponsored Links
I stand corrected on

"is it likely that I will be able to find a model that doesn't require an earth fitted"

The rest stands.

Thanks very much for the valuable information. I will look into getting a class 2 double insulated light that does not need an earth as it is definitely two coare cable that is currently fitted. It was a very old plastic cased light that was previously fitted.

You need to include the IP ( Ingress Protection ) value for water penetration as it is an outside lamp and may get wet with rain.

Many double insulated devices are designed for use only in dry environments and have little or no protection against water ingress. Moisture inside the fitting will negate the double insulation and could leave the damp exterior of the lamp at live potential. A hazard to anyone touching it. It can also shorten the life of the fitting by causing internal damage by electrolytic action. This action will not trip any safety devices.

A quick look at the link supplied by riveralt, shows that nearly all of those double insulated fittings are to the correct IP code?!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back