EICR code question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Quick question, in an EICR, what code would the following attract

An 8.5kW shower fed by a 6mm^2 clipped to the cellar joists/wall and imbedded in the external wall protected by a 32A MCB (no RCD)

The same setup but with 4mm^2 twin and earth instead of 6mm^2?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Cheers

And would this have any consequences for getting an electrician to change the CU? i.e. if it was wired with 4mm^2 would this need to be replaced?

Yes.

It should be 40A mcb and 6mm cable.

If the cable is replaced it will have to be protected by an RCD.

Or replace the shower with a 7.5kW.

Sponsored Links
I disagree. No rcd on a shower definitely code 2.
As far as RCD is concerned - it was not required when fitted so, surely, can't have become a potential danger just because of new rules as there is no requirement to update.

However, the overloaded circuit and/or mcb is a problem.

Code 3 for both.

This is something that complied with a previous edition of BS7671 and now fails to comply with the current edition. For this reason it can't be deemed potentially dangerous when carrying out an inspection in accordance with BS7671.

Remember a C3 states 'improvement recommended'. This is only for something that has the potential to give rise to danger.

It would seem that would be alright if installed as you said.
The electrician will know.

Probably just a larger shower fitted without knowledge at some time.

I disagree. No rcd on a shower definitely code 2.
As far as RCD is concerned - it was not required when fitted so, surely, can't have become a potential danger just because of new rules as there is no requirement to update.

However, the overloaded circuit and/or mcb is a problem.

I'll bet that th MI's recommended or stated that an RCD should be fitted!

Code 3 for both.

This is something that complied with a previous edition of BS7671 and now fails to comply with the current edition.

I'm gettin' ready to duck, but....

I understand shower units are something that often get upgraded with no regard to the rest of the circuit, but can you say that an 8.5kW on a 32A breaker ever did comply? It may (depending on the installation route) comply with 6mm2 but certainly not with 4mm2 and I would say for both cases not with a 32A breaker.

After all, Wylex produced a 35A BS 1361 or should I say 88 just for 8.5's.

Securespark,

My comments were aimed at the lack of RCD protection.

I understand your points regarding an 8.5KW load protected by a 32amp MCB. The design current for both 6mm and 4mm can comply depending on reference methods and correction factors but as you suggest, an 8.5KW load protected by a 32amp MCB fails to stack up with (In >_Ib)

Code 3 for both.

This is something that complied with a previous edition of BS7671 and now fails to comply with the current edition. For this reason it can't be deemed potentially dangerous when carrying out an inspection in accordance with BS7671.

Remember a C3 states 'improvement recommended'. This is only for something that has the potential to give rise to danger.

What if there was a lack or or inadequate supplementary bonding?
I'd go for a C2 unless supplementary bonding was verified.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back