Electric Cooker connection point ok for Gas Cooker?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I`m replacing my electric cooker with a Gas one and would like to know if its ok to use the Electric Cooker connection point (that is behind the cooker position) for the supply to the Gas Cooker.
The Gas Cooker Electric supply is only for the Ignition and the moulded plug supplied has a 13 Amp fuse fitted. (The hand book says if the plug is replaced a 3 Amp fuse should be fitted)
To minimise any work I was hoping to simply replace the cooker connection point with a 13 Amp socket.
Any comments appreciated.

Sponsored Links
I`m replacing my electric cooker with a Gas one and would like to know if its ok to use the Electric Cooker connection point (that is behind the cooker position) for the supply to the Gas Cooker.
In principle, yes. However, where is the cooker connection point (and any associated switch, if separate)? As recently discussed here, installers may well not be prepared to install a cooker with a gas hob if there are electrical accessories on the wall above it.
The Gas Cooker Electric supply is only for the Ignition and the moulded plug supplied has a 13 Amp fuse fitted. (The hand book says if the plug is replaced a 3 Amp fuse should be fitted)
How bizarre. A 3A fuse would be more than enough, so my personal inclination would be to change it, even if I was using the supplied plug!
To minimise any work I was hoping to simply replace the cooker connection point with a 13 Amp socket.
Yes, subject to above.

Kind Regards, John

Thanks for your reply.
The cooker isolating switch is located above the worktop a few inches to the side of the cooker, much as the conventional position.

Thanks for your reply. The cooker isolating switch is located above the worktop a few inches to the side of the cooker, much as the conventional position.
I would imagine that should be acceptable, then. If you do as you suggested, that isolating switch will obviously have to be 'on' for the supply to get to the gas cooker.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Sorry John.
I didn't fully answer your question.
The cooker connection point is on the wall behind the cooker, more to the side of the cooker than centre (if you get my drift).

Thanks
Mick

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back