Electric Inset Fireplace with Thermostat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I have purchased an electric inset fireplace to replace an old gas one which has been removed. I want the electric fire to be thermostatically controlled.

My problem is that I have purchased a Drayton RTS8 with a 13A fused switch to control the fire BUT it says its suitable for current loads of 0.1A to 6A.

This is the fire:
http://www.dimplex.co.uk/products/fires_surrounds/inset_fires/kansas/index.htm

I assume I will need to either put something in between or get a different thermostat?! Any advice welcome. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
OK I see in the manual for the thermostat fig 3 for installation of electric fires for heavier loads. I expect this will be ok. I can't believe the fire will need more than 6A.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Screenshot:
129000_128202_57490_82408887.jpg

You can't put anything in between. You need a different thermostat.

And IMO you need to get someone who knows what they are doing to do electrical work for you.

OK I see in the manual for the thermostat fig 3 for installation of electric fires for heavier loads. I expect this will be ok. I can't believe the fire will need more than 6A.
[SIGH] It's a 2kW fire. How many amps is that? :rolleyes: [/SIGH]

Sponsored Links
I'm not paying a sparkie 1/2 a days work to do a job I can do in 30 mins. I came here to ask for help because I want confirmation not to be patronised by a prat. *SIGH* I will swap the thermostat.

I'm not paying a sparkie 1/2 a days work to do a job I can do in 30 mins. I came here to ask for help because I want confirmation not to be patronised by a prat. *SIGH* I will swap the thermostat.
I'm not patronising you, I am being honest.

Let's see...

You are doing electrical design work when you don't understand the relationship between volts, amps and watts.

You don't read the instructions which come with appliances.

Your grasp of electrical theory is so flaky that you think you can put something in between a switch and an appliance to reduce the current which it draws and for it still to work.

You are not competent.

Correct... I am researching and doing it anyway. Just a word of advice... cut back on the sighs. It's unnecessary and you just happened to do it to someone who has an irrational hatred for it.

Thanks for your help.

I assume I will need to either put something in between or get a different thermostat?! Any advice welcome. Thanks!
You can put a device in between; it's called a relay. The relay coil only consumes milliamps. Switch the coil via the thermostat, and use the relay contacts (suitably rated) to operate the fire. However, it's much simpler to get a suitably rated thermostat as has been suggested.

2kw = 8 amps at 250 volts or a bit less at 230/240. How much less is difficult to say because the spec sheet for the fire states it's 2kW but doesn't actually specify at what voltage So it might even be more since 2kw at 230 volts = 8.7 amps

Oh, and the instructions also contain the following text :

"Do not use this heater in series with a thermal control, a
program controller, a timer or any other device that
switches on the heat automatically, since a fire risk exists
when the heater is accidentally covered or displaced"

But at the end of the day, the choice is yours.

Thanks all. I will only use it when I am in my office at home. Saves me getting too involved with work and too hot and having to think to switch it off and on every hour or so. I work pretty hard and don't need distractions.

I know that sounds ridiculous.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back