electric oven installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to install an electric oven but am not sure if this is possible as my house wiring is what i think they cal '2 core wiring' there is no earth wire. Can anyone advise if this is possible. I have a socket and an old type seperate cable socket for what must have been aprevious electric cooker connection. Really would appreciate a reply as i only habe a few days to secure the purchase of the oven at a good price! Thanks sb

Sponsored Links
Your house wiring will almosty certainly be earthed, but it may be through the original metal conduit.

This will need to be tested as the asppliance must be earthed.

Also, what is the rating of the new oven, and the value of the cooker circuit fuse in teh fusebox/consumer unit?

Thank you thr total rating for the oven is 2.5 , there arent any details on any of the fuses on the fuse board so cant tell any more details.mi

Sponsored Links
I want to install an electric oven but am not sure if this is possible as my house wiring is what i think they cal '2 core wiring' there is no earth wire. Can anyone advise if this is possible. I have a socket and an old type seperate cable socket for what must have been aprevious electric cooker connection. Really would appreciate a reply as i only habe a few days to secure the purchase of the oven at a good price! Thanks sb
Can you upload pictures of the incoming supply and youe CU/fuse box.
There are a number of different earthing arrangements, so could be something you have missed.

If you have an existing/old connection for cooker/oven, it's likely this would be something like 6.0mm cable, if so then that will handle 2.5kW no problems, but I would suggest having the circuit tested prior to connection.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back