Electric shower & Insulation Tape

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, was at my sister's place over the weekend and she asked me to connect up the water supply to her new electric shower.

The electrician had already been over and had connected up the electrics to the shower and had said that it wasn't his job to do the water side of things (which is fine).

On isolating and then opening up the shower, I found that the earth wire was insulated using yellow and green insulation tape and not sleeved in any way at all. Is this permissable and safe?

Sponsored Links
Under common rules insulation tape is acceptable on bare conductors as means of identification.
I would be interested how the electrician filled in the EIC with regards to functionally testing for the shower?

Not got a clue - but more importantly, is this safe? and if not, what's the best course of action to take? Could I just sleeve the earth core myself?

Sponsored Links
It's not unsafe but modern plastic insulating tape just comes unstuck after a year or three.
Even less in an area of humidity.

Best to sleeve it proper, like

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back