Electric sockets tripped out and won't come back on again

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My Electric sockets in entire house have tripped out and won't come back on again.

I just plugged in an extension cable which I think is the bit dodgy and it has tripped out all the sockets, the circuit breaker didn't switch off; it remained in on the on position, yet I lost all power to all my sockets. I have a circuit breaker for downstairs sockets and and for up stairs sockets, but losr power for both floors.
Do I need to remove the circuit breakers and replace them?
The only socket which is unaffected is the one next to cooker, but I believe that is separate system.
My lights and heating work as normal too.

Thanks, mark.

Sponsored Links
Is there another device next to the circuit breakers which has switched off (down)?

If not, there may be another small unit near the consumer unit.

I don't know if the switch next to it was down already but, there is another breaker thing there which has a test button on it. Any way that one doesnt budge. And I can't see any other boxes

there is another breaker thing there which has a test button on it. Any way that one doesnt budge.
That's what I had in mind. It should be UP.

If it is down and you can't push it up, try pushing it farther down and then try pushing up.

Some will only switch on again (up) with the associated circuit breakers turned off (down).

Sponsored Links
that worked !
I had to push them both up (on) together.
thanks a lot.
(going to throw my extension cable away - must be faulty from moisture due to being in cold garage over a few winters).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back