Electric Underfloor heating - combined FCU/controller?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm considering having it done. I'd have a new radial installed for it. Does it require a separate FCU for the controller or can you buy combined ones (I can't find any).

Sponsored Links
Can you buy a combined FCU and controller in the same 1 or 2g unit?

I understand the question but not why you're asking it.

The controller is a programmer/thermostat which is supplied by the manufacturer of the system.
If there were such a thing it would be made by them.

However, the floor heating element has to be connected to wiring from the controller (at FCU or blank connector which can be out of sight).
The cold tails won't be long enough to reach the controller so, unless you want the controller near the floor, your question is pointless.

Sponsored Links
Oh, I stand corrected.

So, going back to OP then

If you are using a dedicated circuit, either:
you may not need an FCU if you use the correctly rated fuse/mcb or
have the FCU wherever you like.

IIRC, Warm-up still want a DP switch with min. 3mm clearance, so may as well have an FCU.

Oh, I stand corrected.

So, going back to OP then

If you are using a dedicated circuit, either:
you may not need an FCU if you use the correctly rated fuse/mcb or
have the FCU wherever you like.

Thanks. My sparkie who will be wiring it up on a new radial told me it would need an FCU. He seemed to think there was a controller that had an inbuilt one, but coulnd't remember the name and I can't find it on Google. He said the FCU would need to be in easy and obvious reach.

Anyone come across a joint controller/FCU in one fitting?

why bother with an FCU if it's going to have its own radial?

My question exactly. My sparkie says it's 17th Ed regs that items in the house that are permanently plugged in need a nearby accessible FCU - UF heating, built in fridges/freezers/washing machines/fans etc. I think they're a waste of time but I want it done by the regs so...

Back to the original question :)

If fused correctly at the Consumer Unit then you could just use a double pole switch conveniently placed.

Can't find what you are looking for.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back