External main protective bonding conductor size

oo7

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys

Just to double check that if a MPBC is to be surface mounted external to the property we do not have to increase the CSA size?

I've been asked to change a consumer unit and there is currently no MPBCs. The gas meter (external) is about 3 meters away from the wall where the CU can be found, so I intend to make this run of cable external and as far as I can see there is no requirement for additional protection or upping the CSA.

Regarding the water supply the cut of is located in a position where I can't hide the cable or run it up into the ceiling. There's no reason why I can't run this cable in trunking along the skirting?

Cheers,
Chris.

Sponsored Links
Just to double check that if a MPBC is to be surface mounted external to the property we do not have to increase the CSA size?
No.

I've been asked to change a consumer unit and there is currently no MPBCs. The gas meter (external) is about 3 meters away from the wall where the CU can be found, so I intend to make this run of cable external and as far as I can see there is no requirement for additional protection or upping the CSA.
Correct

Regarding the water supply the cut of is located in a position where I can't hide the cable or run it up into the ceiling.
There's no reason why I can't run this cable in trunking along the skirting?
:?:

If by 'cut of(f)' you mean stop-cock it doesn't matter.
The water supply should be bonded at its point of entry to the premises.

• Thanks
Reactions: oo7
No increase required for external route reason
I've been asked to change a consumer unit and there is currently no MPBCs. The gas meter (external) is about 3 meters away from the wall where the CU can be found, so I intend to make this run of cable external and as far as I can see there is no requirement for additional protection.
It would depend on whether the external location, would/could cause any damaging effects to the cable.
Regarding the water supply the cut of is located in a position where I can't hide the cable or run it up into the ceiling. There's no reason why I can't run this cable in trunking along the skirting?
There is no reason you cannot, but remember the regulations say within the property on the consumer side (ideally within 600mm of entry) or where reasonably practicable. They regs do not actually say you need to bond after the internal stop tap!

• Thanks
Reactions: oo7
(ideally within 600mm of entry)
To be pedantic the '600mm.' only applies to internal meters; not to the point of entry nor as you say to stop-cocks.

'Where practicable' is quite a leeway but if the point of entry is readily accessible, it would be difficult to justify not fitting it there.

Sponsored Links
I've lost count of the amount of times that I'd seen externally run bonding cut off and stolen. I'd highly recommend that it is run in containment, rather than clipped direct

To be pedantic the '600mm.' only applies to internal meters; not to the point of entry nor as you say to stop-cocks.
Indeed it does, but being pedantic, I didn't mention bonding 600mm from the stop cock or pedantic again the internal stop tap!
'Where practicable' is quite a leeway but if the point of entry is readily accessible, it would be difficult to justify not fitting it there.
If the entry is easily accessible for the bonding conductor yes!

Indeed it does, but being pedantic, I didn't mention bonding 600mm from the stop cock or pedantic again the internal stop tap!
No, I know; that's why I wrote 'as you say'.

However, you did write " (ideally within 600mm of entry)" which I was pointing out is not the case. :)

Many thanks for the clear answers guys.

And yes I did mean stop-cock. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back