Extractor fan install - basic type no timer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would like to fit an extractor fan in the loft space above my shower room with ducting to the outside. I want it to come on when the light is switched on. The type i have is without a timer overrun. The instructions say to put a double pole switched connection unit in the circuit before the pullcord switch & the switch is shown as a single pole type. I would like to know at what point to connect the light. I have also been reading about the 3 pole isolation - this is not mentioned in the instructions for a basic extractor. [/img]

Sponsored Links
Does the manufacturer actually specify a 3A fuse is required, or is that simply an example?

If a 3A fuse is required, then from the switched live and neutral at the light, run t&E to the fused DP connection unit, then t&e to the fan.

The light switch will then control both.

best thing to do is wire a length of 1mm2 twin and earth from the switch wire of the light obviously connecting the neutral and the earth, take that into a switch fused spur and then come out of the switch fused spur to the fan, make sure you put a 3A fuse in the spur, your lights should be fused at 6A anyway so any fuse above 6A in theory should be irrelavant. Ive seen 6A MCB'S running at 15A without a care in the world so for your own sake put a 3A in there. Hope this helps

Sponsored Links
Why don't you want an overrun?

And why don't you want the ability to switch the light on without the fan?

You could achieve both these things with a timer fan and a TP isolation switch.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back