Extractor Fan Isolator Switch????

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to put a extractor in my bathroom to try and reduce the condensation the tenants are causing in my flat.

The bathroom has a window and I want to fit a fan with a timer in the wall so it that runs on after the light has been switched off.

I would like to connect it WITHOUT an isolator switch so the tenants can't switch it off, is this possible?

the Timer Fan I have purchased says that it does not require a earth but requires a 3A fuse!

Sponsored Links
I would like to connect it WITHOUT an isolator switch so the tenants can't switch it off, is this possible?
Not really and it is a good idea for when they go wrong it can be switched off so that the lights can still be used.

the Timer Fan I have purchased says that it does not require a earth but requires a 3A fuse!
Just terminate the CPC (earth) in a terminal block and position safely.
Most do require a 3A fuse.

I have a lot of experience with tenants and condensation and while a fan will help, and there are obviously places which are susceptible to condensation, the blame lies, in most cases, with tenants who scrimp on the heating, never ventilate or remove (wipe up) the condensation - leaving a sopping towel permanently on window sills, fill the room with plants which need watering , hang washing to dry in closed room, and, as you say, do not use the fan when there is one.

I have had tenants in the same flat, one of which complained of clothes and shoes going mouldy and leaving the property with black walls and others who had no problem and left it in a condition which was as new.

Something to consider.

An extractor fan is only efficient if there is as much air getting in to the room as the fan is trying to extract.
So, if your bathroom door is very close fitting then the fan will be trying to create a vacuum and won't work properly.

MK do a fan isolator switch that can be locked, but I think it can only be locked in the off position.

I want to put a extractor in my bathroom to try and reduce the condensation the tenants are causing in my flat. .... I would like to connect it WITHOUT an isolator switch so the tenants can't switch it off, is this possible?
Whilst the Wiring Regulations require that manufactuer's instructions be followed, and the instructions for most such fans say that there must be such an isolator switch, those instructions generally say nothing about where that isolator has to be or how 'accessible' it has to be. Are there possibly any places (e.g. locked cupboards, to which only you have the key) within the flat to which tenants do not have access?

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
I'm sure somebody must make a TP keyswitch that would do the job perfectly, only one I can see though is a MK DP metal clad one or some nasty ass industrial rotary TP+N isolators

I know that the isolator switch is a safety feature to isolate the fan if it needs attention, but is they no way the isolator switch can be by passed?

I really want to fit it without the switch.

1. so that the tenants cant switch it off
2. so that I do not have to have cable trunking all over the concrete ceiling.

Surely it can be fitted without one!

If the fan is damaged (dis-obedient tenants) or otherwise becomes a hazard then without an isolator you ( land lord's duty of care ) will have to dis-connect the cables to it at the ceiling rose. To do that you will have to turn of the lights at the CU. That might mean you have to work on electrics ( about which you appear to know little ) by torch light.

Your choice.

Worst case is the fan blows the fuse and the tenant is left without lights until you can get an electrician to fix it.

Worst case is the fan blows the fuse and the tenant is left without lights until you can get an electrician to fix it.

That can happen even with the isolator switch fitted.

I do know how to switch off lights in a CU! give me some credit where it is due...

With condensation being a big issue, it's worth considering a humidistat controlled fan instead of one which runs only by the command of the lights.

That way it'll run even if a shower is taking place in daylight, where the lights may not have been switched on and will continue to run not just for 15mins or so, but until the set humidity level has been reached.

As mentioned before, make sure enough air supply can match the extract as it's all about movement and flow of air to do the job properly and to avoid vacuum effects.

I do know how to switch off lights in a CU! give me some credit where it is due...
If the fan is damaged and tripping the MCB or RCD in the CU the lights will go off. Resetting the MCB or RCD is unlikely to be possible until the defective fan is isolated from the circuit. When that happens the tenant will have no lights until the fan is disconnected.

With an isolator switch the fan can be isolated ( without using tools ) and lights restored within minutes and the fan repaired / replaced without urgency.

If the fan is damaged and tripping the MCB or RCD in the CU the lights will go off. Resetting the MCB or RCD is unlikely to be possible until the defective fan is isolated from the circuit. When that happens the tenant will have no lights until the fan is disconnected.

With an isolator switch the fan can be isolated ( without using tools ) and lights restored within minutes and the fan repaired / replaced without urgency.

Also without the installation of a double pole isolator, the fault if earth leakage, would not only trip RCD leaving no power to lights but any other circuits protected by that RCD.

It's simple install the DP isolator, instruct your tenants only to isolate the fan if a hazard or potential hazard has become evident.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back