Extractor fan operated by an hourly timer?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please be advised that this is a question from a complete layman.

We are installing a small walk-in pantry in our new kitchen, which is to be fully insulated and vented (unfortunately the corner it is being built in, is not against an external wall).

There is to be a vent at floor level, ducted externally and one at ceiling level which wiill be ducted through a flat roof. The plan is to install a centrifugal fan there to pull the warm air out of the pantry.

My question is this - is it possible to connect a simple extractor fan to a timer switch in order for it to run for a few minutes every hour?

Sponsored Links
I can't quite see why you would want to that.
Won't it effectively create a draught in your kitchen since the replaced air will have to come from you kitchen. For fans you need a constant replacement of air to work properly - i.e. open door, vent or large gap under the door.
Every time you open the pantry door the heat from the kitchen will cause the pantry to 'heat' up again.
Surely if you wanted to keep the pantry at a set temperature level you would install some form of air conditioning or refrigeration device and insulate the door accordingly?

For fans you need a constant replacement of air to work properly - i.e. open door, vent or large gap under the door.
There is to be a vent at floor level, ducted externally ....
Every time you open the pantry door the heat from the kitchen will cause the pantry to 'heat' up again.
That is obviously true, but maybe it is felt that such will be a fairly rare occurrence? Having said all that, I agree that the OP's proposal is probably not a good way of achieving whatever (s)he wants to achieve.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
If you have external ducting at the bottom and the top you do not need a fan.

Ideally it should be sealed from the kitchen and have some method of cooling, whether that be a mechanical device or constructed from cold material.

The plan is to install a centrifugal fan their to pull the warm air out of the pantry.
When you came up with this idea, where did you envisage getting the air that would replace the stuff you had drawn out of the pantry?

The plan is to install a centrifugal fan their to pull the warm air out of the pantry.
When you came up with this idea, where did you envisage getting the air that would replace the stuff you had drawn out of the pantry?

From the vent at floor level which is ducted to the outside of the house.

Sorry if I didn't explain myself very well.

As for the pantry heating up when the door is opened, that is obviously not a problem.

Provided it stays relatively cool when not in use (largely most of the time), so as to avoid the spoiling of foodstuffs contained within it, then that's the goal. It's not necessary for it to stay at a constant temperature - merely cooler than the rest of the kitchen.

Would you be so kind to explain how this could be set up/would work.
Other than having a commercial walk-in fridge, I don't know.
I presume you will have a freezer and a fridge.

You are wanting a pantry which is all there was before refrigerators.
It was simply a cupboard with large stone shelves, on the north side of a house with vents to outside.
The milk man delivered every day and other fresh foods were regularly delivered.
The pantry was not a refrigerator.

What are you trying to achieve?

At the moment, drawing air in from the outside, I imagine he's trying to achieve a compost heap.

Would you be so kind to explain how this could be set up/would work.
Other than having a commercial walk-in fridge, I don't know.
I presume you will have a freezer and a fridge.

You are wanting a pantry which is all there was before refrigerators.
It was simply a cupboard with large stone shelves, on the north side of a house with vents to outside.
The milk man delivered every day and other fresh foods were regularly delivered.
The pantry was not a refrigerator.

What are you trying to achieve?

Precisely that. We have a refrigerator. A room which for the majority of time stays relatively cool and with adequate ventilation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back