fitting downlight converter kit to large hole

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
:?:
Hi, this relates to electrics, but strictly speaking is not this forum heading. O well, here goes:

We have just refloored our dining room / lounge with solid oak planks, which looks a dream. The 4 ceiling swivelling eyeball spots suddenly looked so dated so we bought downlight converter kits to replace them. Unfortunately, the cut outs for the old ones are 155mm, but the converter kits have a max size of 140mm. I can't find anything wider than this on the net. I am really hoping we don't have to have the ceiling replaced, and holes never fill in well, especially with the spring force of these replacement units which tend to pull the units through the repaired hole.

Question please: are there any secondary backing plates which we can insert between the new units and the ceiling to close the gap? Brass or white, ideally 160mm diameter???

(I can't think of any way to cut down the existing backing plates; they are too thick and wide).

We will be so grateful for any viable solutions!

Rob

Sponsored Links
There are a number of questions. Can you angle the new spots to light the required area once recessed? I will assume they are to light a special area like a picture as not much good for general lighting.

Have you got the 0.5 meters clearance between the lamp and combustible materials? If not is there otherwise recommendations by the manufacturer?

I would look at the round 2D fittings for general lighting to cover hole and not look too bad.

Sponsored Links
the cut outs for the old ones are 155mm
These would fit into those holes with no fiddling/patching/conversion required, would probably look better than a converter plate and will certainly work better than a small diameter light:

Other makers and other suppliers are readily available - look for PL downlights.

something like this http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/GLPL218E.html
rather industrial maybe?
After you've fitted the frosted glass attachments (I'd advise against the dropped ones, 'cos insects will fly in there and die), when you look up all you see is a white ring with a frosted glass insert, or with those just frosted glass and 3 chromed nuts:

GLGFIP44.JPG

Yes - not all twee or fancy, but not exactly "industrial".

I looked at the specs for 18W PL-C lamps from GE, Osram, Sylvania and Philips. All of them quoted 1200lm.

Oh dear:

screenshot_1267.jpg

Also, they say "Philips 6.5w ... These Lamps designed as a retro-fit to work with your existing electronic ballast." And yet elsewhere on the site they say "Please note - These lamps should be replaced like for like. If you have a 18w lamp in your fitting, it must be replaced with a 18w lamp. You cannot reduce or increase the wattage."

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back