fitting new pendant light - newbie

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,
hope you can help me as I'm wiring some home lights and pretty novice at it.

I've got two pendant lights that I bought to replace two existing standard cheapo pendant lights (i.e. those where just a wire comes out of the ceiling).

I've already replaced one pendant lamp as it was really straight forward - just took out the existing pendant lamp and connected the new one up matching the live, neutral and earth to the live, neutral and earth of the terminal block of the new pendant light.

Ok, straight forward so far. Now, when I looked at the other existing pendant wiring, it isn't so easy, because there are more than 3 wires. This is because there's two lights operated on the one switch - and one of these lights is the one I want to replace. This is what the pendant wiring looks like (note the existing pendant light wires are still attached):
A:
5yfaf5.jpg

And this is the terminal block attached to the new pendant that I need to wire it into!
B:
23rl5ys.jpg

I'm not sure which of the existing wires (A) need to go into the new terminal block (B). Can anyone advise? Thanks guys!

bob

Sponsored Links
Connect it the same as before, you just have two of everything, I assume the other one you swapped was in the same room? well the supply goes to the first light and on to the second, hence two cables

Does the connection block on light/photo "B" have markings for live and neutral or are the cores on the fittings flex coloured brown and blue?
If so all browns to live/brown of flex and all blues neutral/blue and the earths(CPC) to earth terminal.
If not it will still function providing you terminate all the earths to earth terminal, the browns to one of the two remaining terminals and the blues to the other.

If the first pendant you replaced had only one cable containing live, neutral and earth - that would suggest it is the second lamp on the two lamp one switch arrangement.
I am therefore confused by A which appears to show two brown conductors into the lamps live - where does either lamp get its power from?
If its the switch - then where does the switch get its power from?

Sponsored Links
hi guys,
nice to know there are some informed posters here!

Apologies for the confusion...to clarify, the first light (lets call this number 1) i changed was a one cable straight from the switch (hence only three wires to connect).

The other light (lets call this number 2) which is the one i'm going to tackle and as shown in A is connected to another light (let's call this number 3). On the switch when you press the button, both 2 and 3 light up.

So I am guessing the 2 cables leading into the pendant in A is made up of one cable direct from the switch, and the other cable leads to light number 3. Is that a correct conclusion, and if so, does it change the advice you guys have given?
thanks,
Bob

Yes you are correct. 1 cable from the switch, and 1 to the next light.

Connect both browns together in the live terminal on your new fitting
Both blues to the neutral terminal, and both earths to the earth terminal.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back