garage consumer unit breaker tripping

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.

There's a mini consumer unit in my garage which runs a lighting ring and sockets ring (6A & 16A breaker respectively).

Now and again when im using tools in there the sockets breaker trips, mostly when using my dewalt mitre saw (only now and again though, not every time. It seems a little odd to me (although im no electrician) becasue it nevers trips when im using my table saw which is a bigger machine ie 2000w.

Does anyone have any ideas why this may be happening or at least give some pointers as to where i could look?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Could it be that the table saw has a soft start function and the mitre saw doesn't?

Sponsored Links
hi there.

so, i do have a few things plugged in but they're not in use when the mitre saw is on, only the lights.

the mitre saw does apparantly have a soft start function but to be honest, i certainly isnt as soft a start as the table saw. but this is a 240V mitre saw.

its worth noting that it doesn't trip the mcb all the time either. when i was laying my flooring in kitchen it would only trip every few cuts of so.

the only thing i cant think of thats changes recently (around the time i bought the saw) is that i got rid of one of the sockets on the ring and replaced it with a junction box. i've checked that and all the connections are solid.

any ideas?

ta

Yes - the soft start on the mitre saw isn't particularly effective, and sometimes the inrush current trips the breaker.

So, is the reality simply that I just have to live with it then am I able to update the mcb (doesn't sound like a good idea for some reason).

I suppose that although a little inconvenient, as long as I know that theee ain't really a problem on the ring then I guess I can live with it.

Thanks

You may be able to resolve it, but it would probably involve upgrading the connection feeding the garage amongst other things. It all needs proper design.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back