garage fusebox, new shed, house mains

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
From memory my dads garage has a mains cable running from the house from the main consumer unit to old plug in black fuse board in the garage.

Theres a few sockets on one circuit and lights on the other.

He added one of these large sheds for sitting out in the garden and wants power to it.

Do I add it to the ring circuit, or do I need to upgrade the fuse box (qualified electrician), this system was done around 32 years ago for the garage and there has never been an issue, just want to make sure he knows what requires doing.

the shed backs on to the garage and we can lay protective coonduit/ trunking where required, as hes a pensioner hes going to want to do it as cheap as possible.

Sponsored Links
Cheap isn't always an excuse or reason for what may be a bad job.

Important things to consider is if there is an RCD protecting this wiring. The RCD may be in the house or garage. It could also be described as an RCCB.

SWA cable between the garage and shed may prove to be better as it's tougher, though you must make sure the armouring is properly earthed.

Lol agreed, but you try telling him that, the older he gets the worse it is.

Concerned hes going to do this and end up getting a nasty shock.

I will give it a proper check over when i visit and try and convince him.

Okay, I know the garage has the following in there:-

The garage has this type:-

http://www.payneelectrical.co.uk/communities/1/004/008/263/041/images/4537183801.jpg

This wires back to the house, not sure what is at the house end until I check tomorrow live a fair distance away. Assuming its not been upgraded.

Sponsored Links
the house has been upgraded since I left home, but I haven't lived there for nearly 20 years, the garage is detached from the house.

The cable is in conduit, couldn't tell you what type, it goes in a straight line to the house, the trench the conduit was laid in was well protected from memory.
Similar is proposed from the garage to the shed, as the shed is almost fixed to the garage the cables wont be running more than a few meters.

Just want to make sure nothing is missed, hes no longer got life cover.

I suggest it maybe wise to have an electrical installation report made on the system. This will flag up most (not all) issues regarding the safety of the installation and any potentially dangerous situations and recommendations on any most do remedial work. Prices vary, but should put your mind at rest.

Thanks for everyones help and I can view and look and track things back, he wont get a sparky out unless I can convince him its dangerous to start with, after 32 years of no issues that's not going to be easy.

to be fair no one ever has had an injury, but that doesn't mean its right or as safe as new standards allow

As hes got older trusts tradesmen less and less.

after 32 years of no issues that's not going to be easy.
There might be a good analogy to use.

Does he/did he drive?

And if so, how long has he/did he drive accident free?

So all that time he could have driven with no seatbelt and no airbags, and been fine. But if he had had an accident, even if not his fault......

A safe electrical installation isn't only about it not catching fire or giving people shocks when they touch things, it's also about whether the protective devices will operate to prevent fire and shocks etc if something goes wrong.

he will say hell get it looked at and then run extension leads to the shed.

I can put a fused spur and that on but I need to check the rest of the system and if it needs upgrading then I am not qualified to do the full monty.

I assume the RCD in the house protects the garage?

If so, that's good that at least there is an RCD.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back