Garage light to turn on when doors open

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

We have electric up and over garage doors, is there anyway to get the garage light to come on when the doors open electronically?

There is a very dim set of 3 LED's that come on, on the door motor opener, but would be nice to have main light come one.

The LEDs are 12V, so could a relay pick up this and then 2way switch main lights?

I have thought about a PIR sensor that would either pick up the door moving or a very least car going in, but dont think the PIR will operate as a 2 way switching circuit?

Also thought about some sort of limit switch/ limit arm that activates light on doors opening/closing.

Any other thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Is there any contact on the control box, sometimes there are contacts ready to do just what you want

You can always fit a microswitch to be activated by the door opening.
Independant of the electrics for the door.

You could wire two PIR's in parallel, that would work.

Sponsored Links
Relays would work well, but probably easier to have a separate mains light so avoiding the two way system altogether. There is likely to be a timer on the opener circuit to prevent lights staying on.

you wouldn't need 2 way switching, just put the relay contacts in parallel to the existing switch..
I would presume that the door opener lights either go off when the door closes or are timed to go off after so long?

are you very likely to need to have the door open for a long time with the lights off?

are you very likely to need to have the door open for a long time with the lights off?

Yes, like now. Nice sunny day outside and garage doors open.

LED lights do time, off but not pre built socket to take anything off.

I think the option of a second light system would keep things simpler. Maybe a PIR?

Actually just thinking how the PIR system works on other lights we have, if you double on off the light the system goes into manual.

So rather than using the PIR as a second switch, I could just have the PIR as the main operation (using darkest setting so only come on at night) and if needing the light on longer just double flick the switch?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back