Gas meter earth bonding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Earth bonding to the gas meter is required these days for the annual gas safety certificate to pass. However, I have two mid terraced houses where the gas meter is outside the house and the electrical meter is inside the house. The floor is concrete; hence I can not run the earth under the floor board from the middle of the house (electrical meter) to gas meter.

One of the central heating radiator is very close to the electrical meter. Can I run the earth from the electrical meter to ons of its pipe then connect all pipes going in and out of the combi boiler with earth bonding clamps. This way I will have all the cooper pipe in the house connected including the main Gas one , ….. correct? Please advice.

Sponsored Links
No to everything you suggested.

The connection needs to be made at or near to where the gas enters the property.

Earth bonding to the gas meter is required these days for the annual gas safety certificate to pass
It has been a requirement for several decades, and should have been identified on the previous electrical inspections, or when any electrical work was done.

If the floor is unsuitable, then either surface mini trunking along a wall or skirting board, or go up and then across in the ceiling void. Or concealed behind coving, etc.

Many thanks for the reply,
What is the reason behind it? The copper pipe where the gas enters the property is the same pipe going in the boiler and it is conductive all the way

Bonding is all about keeping all extraneous metal work within a property at the same potential. The only way to achieve this is to bond them all together as they enter the property.

Strapping bits of wire to radiators and boilers willy nilly and hoping that you might be ok is not the way to do this.

If you can't bond the gas supply properly at the point of entry to the property, then you ought to employ an electrician, who will be experienced in routing cables to hard to access places, with minimal damage.

Sponsored Links
Can I ask, if the main gas supply to the gas meter was plastic pipe there would be no continuity to earth via the meter so why is it necessary to bond the in house gas pipes within 600mm of the meter?

Earth bonding to the gas meter is required these days for the annual gas safety certificate to pass.
hmm, the gas engineers who have inspected the flat I rent have commented on the lack of bonding when filling out the gas safety certificate but they have still ticked the "safe to use" box.

It does seem pointless when the supply is plastic, at least we know where to go and look for it!

if the main gas supply to the gas meter was plastic pipe there would be no continuity to earth via the meter so why is it necessary to bond the in house gas pipes
It isn't but you must be certain.
If you are not then it must be fitted.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back