Help New light fitting - extra wires

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have being tasked by the GF to fit a new light fitting to the ceiling.

I have watched this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZizlnLfLks which is very good.

But my fitting is abit different. Too many wires.

The new fitting has two connectors (one live and want neutral)

The fixtures in the ceiling have 2 lives, 2 neutrals, and one earth.

What do I do with these extra wires? if I have to fit extra terminals where and what do I fit them too? sorry I am abit of a newb when it comes to this.

Sponsored Links
Your incoming live (brown) and neutral (blue) are the ones in the grey sheath. They should be connected the live/neutral on the new lamp.
If there is no earth terminal on the new lamp then put it in a terminal block - otherwise it must be connected as per new lamp instructions.
The other two brown/blue wires wrapped around the ceiling rose can be ignored.

Looks as if the power for this light is coming from the switch.

it's not ideal, but if you want to fit the grey sheathed cable (T&E) into that light fitting, you'll have to just snip off the Earth (green/yellow) wire as close as possible to the sheathing and leave it unconnected.

Sponsored Links
it's not ideal, but if you want to fit the grey sheathed cable (T&E) into that light fitting, you'll have to just snip off the Earth (green/yellow) wire as close as possible to the sheathing and leave it unconnected.
Not only is this not ideal, is is totally unacceptable.

Earth wires are NEVER cut off.

Not only is this not ideal, is is totally unacceptable.

Earth wires are NEVER cut off.

why do they make fittings with no earth terminal? It's dumb. Whatever you do is going to be a bodge, whether you cut it off, tape it, bend it back e.t.c.

why do they make fittings with no earth terminal? It's dumb. Whatever you do is going to be a bodge, whether you cut it off, tape it, bend it back e.t.c.
Earthing (to operate the opd in the event of a fault) is a safety measure and necessary 'evil'.
It would be better if it were not necessary.

Double insulation prevents the danger of metal casings becoming live thus removing the need for earthing.

However, the cpc should be run to the appliances and fittings for testing purposes and in case it is needed in the future and therefore should not be cut.

Earthing (to operate the opd in the event of a fault) is a safety measure and necessary 'evil'.
It would be better if it were not necessary.

Double insulation prevents the danger of metal casings becoming live thus removing the need for earthing.

However, the cpc should be run to the appliances and fittings for testing purposes and in case it is needed in the future and therefore should not be cut.

no, I mean, in fittings that don't require an earth, why don't manufacturers provide a terminal anyway just to terminate the earth for neatness?

tew - please stop giving people advice - you are sh*te at it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back