Hiding cable from cooker control switch to connection unit.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am doing some kitchen remodeling. The cooker control switch is mounted at 1.2m high on the wall, 0.3m horizontally from the 0.6m wide free standing electric cooker. The 6mm2 cable to the switch is buried in the solid wall, while the 6mm2 cable from the switch to the cooker is surface mounted. To make it look tidier, I'd like to bury the cable from the switch into the wall, and put in a flush mounted cooker connection unit for it to connect into.
Question.
Can I take the shortest horizontal/vertical route, across (0.5m) and down (0.75m) or down and across, or would you recommend I take the cable vertically all the way to the ceiling (up 1.2m), through the ceiling (across 0.5m) and all the way down again (down 2m). The floor is solid so running a cable under floor boards is not an option. Also what should I use to protect the cable, oval conduit or protective channel, and PVC or Steel?

Sponsored Links
Across and down, or down and across is fine, so long as you remain within the safe zones formed by each accessory.

//www.diynot.com/wiki/Electrics:walls

If the circuit has an RCD, you dont need anything to protect it, however you can choose to use any of your mentioned things if you like.

If the circuit doesnt have an RCD, and you dont want to add one, then earthed steel conduit is probably the only option.

Across and down, or down and across is fine, so long as you remain within the safe zones formed by each accessory.

//www.diynot.com/wiki/Electrics:walls

If the circuit has an RCD, you dont need anything to protect it, however you can choose to use any of your mentioned things if you like.

If the circuit doesnt have an RCD, and you dont want to add one, then earthed steel conduit is probably the only option.

Thanks for your help Aragorn. Yes the cooker is on a 32A MCB which is also RCD protected so would not need steel conduit, but purely out of curiosity when you say earthed steel conduit, do you mean it is earthed by the fact it is in a solid wall, or does it need to my connected to an earth cable?

Earthed as in connected to the installations main earth terminal. So yes, connected to an earth cable.

Your wall is unlikely to provide a path to earth!

Sponsored Links
No. I realise that.

It was merely information because:
"If the circuit doesnt have an RCD, and you dont want to add one, then earthed steel conduit is probably the only option."

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back