DIYnot
Local | Network
   DIYnot > Forums
Local | Network
DIYnot Network Local DIYnot Network Local  
  Forum IndexForum Index     RulesRules    HelpHelp     Join FREERegister Free     About CookiesCookies     SearchSearch     LoginLogin 

Hiding cable

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
masona

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:39 pm Reply with quote

I understand you cannot hide cable, eg 2.5mm T&E behind the skirting board but is it okay to put it on front of the skirting board in a trunking? I'm confused as you can buy a mould trunking that goes on top of the skirting board but isn't that a hidden danger? Can't see what's the difference if it's behind or hidden in front icon_confused.gif If not, then I can go another route but it's a lot more work

Alert Moderators

If you do not want to see this advert, click here to login or if you are new click here to join free.
Taylortwocities

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:23 pm Reply with quote

If it is in trunking you can put it in front of or on top of the skirting board. But not behind it!

You can see where the cable is when in trunking so you can put wherever you like - diagonally across a wall, if you must.
Things only get tricky when the cable is concealed.
The following user says thank you to Taylortwocities for this useful post:
masona (22 Jan 2012)
 Alert Moderators
JohnW2

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:40 pm Reply with quote

Taylortwocities' signature wrote:
Life is so unlike theory

Life came before theories - it is theory which is so unlike life icon_smile.gif

Kind Regards, John.
 Alert Moderators
sparkwright

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:53 pm Reply with quote

masona wrote:
I understand you cannot hide cable, eg 2.5mm T&E behind the skirting board but is it okay to put it on front of the skirting board in a trunking? I'm confused as you can buy a mould trunking that goes on top of the skirting board but isn't that a hidden danger? Can't see what's the difference if it's behind or hidden in front icon_confused.gif If not, then I can go another route but it's a lot more work

The difference is if it's behind the skirting board you cannot see it, if it's in front and made to blend in you can still see it.
The following user says thank you to sparkwright for this useful post:
masona (22 Jan 2012)
 Alert Moderators
JohnW2

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:02 pm Reply with quote

Taylortwocities wrote:
If it is in trunking you can put it in front of or on top of the skirting board. But not behind it! You can see where the cable is when in trunking so you can put wherever you like - diagonally across a wall, if you must. Things only get tricky when the cable is concealed.

Reg-wise, yes. In the real world, it can also get tricky if the trunking is aesthetically so 'good' that it may effectively 'conceal' the existance of the cables, by looking to some people as a plastic skirting (or plastic part of skirting). I know of a case in which someone drilled into one (to attach a phone socket or somesuch), not realising that it was cable trunking!

Kind Regards, John.
The following user says thank you to JohnW2 for this useful post:
masona (22 Jan 2012)
 Alert Moderators
RF Lighting

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:08 pm Reply with quote

Use D line quarter round trunking. fit it where your skirting meets the floor and you'll hardly notice it at all.

The following user says thank you to RF Lighting for this useful post:
masona (22 Jan 2012)
 Alert Moderators
masona

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:57 pm Reply with quote

JohnW2 wrote:
Reg-wise, yes. In the real world, it can also get tricky if the trunking is aesthetically so 'good' that it may effectively 'conceal' the existance of the cables, by looking to some people as a plastic skirting (or plastic part of skirting). I know of a case in which someone drilled into one (to attach a phone socket or somesuch), not realising that it was cable trunking!

Kind Regards, John.

This is why I'm surprised it's acceptable!
 Alert Moderators
masona

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:01 pm Reply with quote

RF Lighting wrote:
Use D line quarter round trunking. fit it where your skirting meets the floor and you'll hardly notice it at all.

I'm wondering if it's possible to put a metal conduit inside the trunking? Not sure what's available
 Alert Moderators
Taylortwocities

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:57 pm Reply with quote

masona wrote:

I'm wondering if it's possible to put a metal conduit inside the trunking? Not sure what's available

Now you are being silly.

Why not just have a length of thick black steel armoured cable running around the floor of your room. That would look so smart. But just think how much safer it would be.

Trunking is a perfectly acceptable method of cable installation. Some concrete construction flats have even beed rewired in the stuff. Just get on with it, any further discussion is pointless.
The following user says thank you to Taylortwocities for this useful post:
masona (22 Jan 2012)
 Alert Moderators
ban-all-sheds

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:44 pm Reply with quote

Taylortwocities wrote:
Trunking is a perfectly acceptable method of cable installation. Some concrete construction flats have even beed rewired in the stuff. Just get on with it, any further discussion is pointless.

Masona has a point.

In theory it may be in trunking, but to all intents and purposes, in real life if you have an unnoticeable moulding atop the skirting, particularly if you paint them both, you have a situation no different from a cable behind the skirting.
 Alert Moderators
Monkeh

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:53 pm Reply with quote

ban-all-sheds wrote:
Taylortwocities wrote:

Masona has a point.

In theory it may be in trunking, but to all intents and purposes, in real life if you have an unnoticeable moulding atop the skirting, particularly if you paint them both, you have a situation no different from a cable behind the skirting.

Tap it with a knuckle. Anyone who drills straight into something without knowing what it is is dumb enough to drill into a safe zone, too.
 Alert Moderators
ban-all-sheds

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:01 am Reply with quote

Tap a thin bit of skirting loosely attached to a wall in a place where there's empty air behind it.
 Alert Moderators
JohnW2

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:07 am Reply with quote

Monkeh wrote:
Tap it with a knuckle. Anyone who drills straight into something without knowing what it is is dumb enough to drill into a safe zone, too.

I've told you of the case I saw. The perpetrator knew that it was hollow plastic, but thought it was plastic skirting - so he drilled (very small) pilot holes into it for self-tappings screws (I think to attach a telephone socket) - and hit something other than plastic icon_smile.gif

Kind Regards, John.
 Alert Moderators
Monkeh

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:08 am Reply with quote

ban-all-sheds wrote:
Tap a thin bit of skirting loosely attached to a wall in a place where there's empty air behind it.

I have. It sounds and feels totally different to a bit of uPVC.
 Alert Moderators
Monkeh

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:10 am Reply with quote

JohnW2 wrote:
Monkeh wrote:

I've told you of the case I saw. The perpetrator knew that it was hollow plastic, but thought it was plastic skirting - so he drilled (very small) pilot holes into it for self-tappings screws (I think to attach a telephone socket) - and hit something other than plastic icon_smile.gif

Kind Regards, John.

Then look for the seam or see if there's some actual wooden skirting under it. He'd probably drill into dado trunking thinking the sockets were just mounted on it. Common sense goes a long way.

Never heard of natural selection? This is how it works.
 Alert Moderators
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DIYnot.com Forum Index > Electrics UK All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: