Hiding cables

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I've recently moved house and I am starting to decorate rooms up.

I want to have the ability to run cables between the ground and first floor not just now but in the future.

I'm planning on sinking some sort of conduit into one of the walls and accessing the top just under the floor board in the landing to then pass it through cables into whatever room upstairs. Also to have some sort of access near or on skirting at the bottom to then pass though into the skirting towards the Alarm box, networking hub, master telecom box, Sky etc...

A few questions...

1. can anyone recommend any specific conduit (+ all other related items like inspection box etc) that will accommodate a reasonable amount of cabling that can also be sunk into walls?
2. Can anyone recommend a good wire/metal wall detector? Lot's of reviews I have read seem to suggest that these devices aren't that accurate.
3. Anyone have clever tips or solutions about having a flexible way of adding / removing / directing cables in a residential house? I have no idea but thought I would ask anyway!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
20 or 25 mm circular conduit would be ok, as would oval conduit.

But possibly, it may be better to create a 'boxing' in the corner of the room and the room above. This would be made of wood and covered in plasterboard. You can put skirting board round the bottom and decorate it to match the rest of the room.

You could leave a couple of draw wires in it.

This would give you greater scope for adding wires, and even pipes if you need them in the future.

It can be as big or as small as you like, and should look like it's 'meant' to be there if you add skirting board.

This would be a very useful service void which could have many uses over the years.

A few questions...

1. can anyone recommend any specific conduit (+ all other related items like inspection box etc) that will accommodate a reasonable amount of cabling that can also be sunk into walls?
That would depend on the number of cables and type of cable being used, you will struggle to get two sets of twin&earth cable in a 20mm conduit.
2. Can anyone recommend a good wire/metal wall detector? Lot's of reviews I have read seem to suggest that these devices aren't that accurate.
Unless you going to spend big money they are all very hit and miss!
3. Anyone have clever tips or solutions about having a flexible way of adding / removing / directing cables in a residential house? I have no idea but thought I would ask anyway!
You will need a good sized duct to route cables between floors hassle free.

Make yourself aware of the safe routes that cables can be routed and also the regulations concerning the depth of chases within solid walls.

Sponsored Links
This is all great advice thanks!

I should have been clear on my OP that the route I am creating is for communication and media cables but not 230v so I should be good.

Thanks again all!

Unless you going to spend big money they are all very hit and miss!

Out of interest... how much would that be? and what model.
I wouldn't mind making an investment if it lasts me a long time. I have a whole house to do up and also help with my brothers so might be worth it.

Thanks

The Fluke jobby is a great bit of kit, but you have to put the transmitter on the circuit you are tracing. I think the OP is looking for a reliable detector that will find general pipes, cables, etc in a wall.

Unfortunately these devices are notoriously unreliable. In my experience price is not necessarily an indication of quality. :cry:

Careful chipping with a chisel is the best method, together with awareness of likely cable and pipe routes.

An example of boxing in, there are 3 risers.

Under the cu is electical, and in to the corner is ch / wet services which is sectioned in two for data, BT, and TV distribution.

There are pinned in panels that can be removed along the sections to allow for additions. Although when I do access them I have to spend half an hour giving them another paint coat.

The panels are away from the picture and dado rails, and skirts to make sure they don't have to be mucked about with.
Sorry for some reason the picture has uploaded from the iPad on its side.

And of course, if you didn't want the extra bother of pulling out nails and re-painting, you could fit a dry-line box into the wall, with either a blank plate over it or even an actual working socket, so by loosening two screws and hooking the box out you have instant access.

Thanks for the great responses.
At the top of the route (in the first floor) running the cable under the floor to bedrooms would you use conduit?
Ideally I want to just get access the cables at the top and push them through to access points in other rooms without pulling up the floor each time.
Would I need to use conduit? If so can anyone recommend any that is a reasonable size to fit a a few alarm, media, ethernet cables without spending too much?

I have seen this stuff but it gets rather expensive!
http://www.screwfix.com/p/adaptaflex-general-purpose-pack-pvc-pliable-conduit-25mm-grey/76571

thanks

If you want to be able to draw wires in under a floor at any time, rigid or flexible conduit would certainly be an idea. Make sure you always have a draw wire in place.

Otherwise, you could just put in lots of wires, more than you'll ever need, and hopefully you'll have what you need.

Don't forget if you have a loft space this is a good place to run cables or conduits, and take advantage of any fitted cupboards.

I think the OP is looking for a reliable detector that will find general pipes, cables, etc in a wall.
Unfortunately these devices are notoriously unreliable. In my experience price is not necessarily an indication of quality. :cry:
Indeed and there is no real reliable one out there, that would be considered something worth purchasing, unless you are going to spend vast amounts of money!
Careful chipping with a chisel is the best method, together with awareness of likely cable and pipe routes.

Definitely scraping away at the surface of the fabric of the wall, until you reach either bare brick/block/stone or a void is advisable but then you can never rule out the idiots routing of cable.
I once came across a cable in a small bathroom wall, where the installer had decided to use as much of the length of cable in the wall as possible, and instead of routing in a straight line, their method was one which meant the cable snaked across the wall left to right, top to bottom the full length and height of the wall, which was a little puzzling at the time!

Long vertical drops of cable may need supports along the vertical section due to the cable not being designed to support it's own weight in long vertical drops..

Where the cable goes from vertical to horizontal a smooth rounded edge will be better than a sharp corner, especially if the cable is hanging from that edge.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back