I just found plug sockets on the lighting circuit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was just checking the state of all my plug sockets and have found that two of them (both dbl sockets) are on a lighting circuit. I found out because when I plug in the vacuum clearner, it trips the circuit breaker for the lighting circuit.

Short of ripping out the cabling, what's the best way of handling this - I was wondering if there is a double fused socket that i could fit instead of the standard dbl sockets....

Or just label them as "lamps only"?

Sponsored Links
Is the lighting circuit RCD protected or not? If it is, then you'll need to assess the current carrying capacity of the cables (ie size of cable, is it a ring or radial?) and the RCD in the CU. Obviously its inconvenient if the socket (or, the thing plugged into it) trips the lights but not THAT dangerous (unless it plunges you into darkness and you trip over something, of course!)

If its not RCD protected then I'd say blank them off.

Fuses are no protection in this instance.

Is the lighting circuit RCD protected or not?
Is it relevant?

If it is, then you'll need to assess the current carrying capacity of the cables (ie size of cable,
Do we not have to if it is not RCD protected?
I would think it a 6A breaker so the cable will be fine.

is it a ring or radial?)
Lighting.

and the RCD in the CU.
What about it?

Fuses are no protection in this instance.
They would be.

Sponsored Links
Think paul is suggesting as they are sockets, they ought to have RCD protection.

They would if you were installing from scratch.

What his point about the relationship between CCC and RCD is, I'm not quite sure.

The whole house is rcd protected it seems - if a bulb blows it will trip the rcd whotsit and the whole house goes off!

So, can I just label the sockets as "lamps only" and have done with it, or should I blank off?

You could also use the MK sockets with T shaped earth pins.

But honestly I'd just put labels on them and leave it at that.

How easy to re-wire to get them on the socket circuit?

What size cable has been used?

If they happen to be in 2.5 mm2, there may be a way to connect to the socket circuit.

If 1.5 mm2 cable has been used, there may be a way to connect them to the socket circuit via a fused spur.

What kind of flooring do you have, and how easy to replace the cable and do it properly?

Is the rest of the house wiring any good?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back